Crow height??

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Lone Hunter, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter Silver $$ Contributor

Have googled this and only get the length but can anyone tell me how tall a crow is standing flat footed to the top of its head. Kinda like a silhouette. Wanting this so I can get my drop chart set up. Thanks in advance..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    6ShotsOr5? likes this.
  2. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Not sure how tall they are standing, but they're real flat after shooting them.

Attached Files:

Ccrider, WyleWD, MikeT49 and 11 others like this.
  3. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Try setting out a pack of cigarettes and take a photo of a crow standing next to it. The rest is an easy calculation.
    -

mikeinct and Lone Hunter like this.
  4. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

Lone Hunter likes this.
  5. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Eight to ten inches.

6. brians356

7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

8. mikeinct

mikeinct

If you want to kill them. really centered up. Use a standard clay target for your reference/practice. Or make round paper targets using the base rim of a standard size coffee can/Black marker. Set those out & blast away. Crows are a tough target past a quarter mile. They look bigger than they are. mike in ct

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. Bojo

Bojo

Pretty hard to measure after a 22 hornet or 22-250 is used

10. msinc

msinc

I agree, clay targets are excellent for practice. The OP must be going to range on them with his reticle...otherwise I don't know what difference it makes how big they are if you know the range with a laser.
    If I was going to set out an "item" for size comparison and then sit around and wait for one to eventually land next to it......my item would be a ruler!!!
    A couple of flocked decoys and MacDonald's trash with ketchup on the ground makes a good bait set up.

11. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Look them up in the Audubon book. There are different species. We have two that I commonly see and one is noticeably bigger than the other.

okie and msinc like this.
  12. Lone Hunter

You are correct on ranging them with my reticle. I have a rangefinder but have CRS and forget it at times. I have 2 scopes that I use and can range pretty close with them if I know the size of an object. In all the searches it tells the length,weight,and wingspan but not how tall. I like the picture of one next to the chip bag. Looks like to get a good measurement I'm going to have to shotgun one. Otherwise that pretty picture happens. Red mist and Feathers.

msinc and mikeinct like this.
  13. K9TXS

K9TXS

The adult American crow measures around 17.5". The raven that looks just like a crow measures around 27". I have never seen crows and ravens together, but I guess they could be. During my travels in europe, I see more ravens that crows.

msinc likes this.
  14. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

I have had to quit shooting crows. They have almost disappeared in my area. West Nile I assume. Barlow

15. Lone Hunter

Yes, but that is the length of the crow. From beak to tail feather. I need the measure from like the picture in my first post. Standing flat footed to the top of his head. That way I can range them pretty quick with my scope. With a coyote I don't try because they don't stand still long enough to get them ranged. I saw Ravens out west and they are bigger than the crows. I probably will never see any outside of this country because I will not travel outside of this country. Not because I don't want to but just can't afford to. Retirement sucks at times, other times it's real nice.

mikeinct likes this.
  16. mmcu

mmcu Silver $$ Contributor

They're about 10" tall standing.

AckleymanII and Lone Hunter like this.
  17. brians356

Go to the grocery store with a tape measure, measure that bag of Lay's chips, and with that in mind look at that photo I posted again. The crow is not fully erect, but neither is the bag.

My estimate, based on typical mature OAL of 17.5" and measuring side views in my many bird guides, is that a crow standing erect would be about 12" to the crown of its head. For your purpose, going with the 10" bandied about here will account for immature birds, and in any case won't demonstrably affect your scores out to reasonable ranges.
    -

Lone Hunter and hogpatrol like this.
  18. brians356

The Common Raven runs 24", but outweighs the crow by a factor of 2.5. I've seen crows and ravens together, but not cordially! Rather, crow(s) harassing a flying raven as a likely nest predator.
    -

Lone Hunter likes this.
  19. K22

K22

I hunted them for years in my youth with a shotgun and became quite proficient with a mouth call while concealed in a bind.

Hunting them with a rifle is another matter - lots of feathers - easy to miss. You better be able to hit a 2" circle at the distances you're shooting them to assure a clean and humane kill. Also, they're very wary and hard to stalk close in.

PS: I don't hunt them anymore.

20. hammerjack

hammerjack Gold $$ Contributor

I have decoys that are 12'' tall & 14'' long.

Lone Hunter and mikeinct like this.