Conversion of CZ 527 Left Hand 223 to 17 or 20 calibers

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by BoomDeBoom, Jan 12, 2020.

1. BoomDeBoom

BoomDeBoom

Getting older and less happy with recoil, I would like to convert a CZ 527 left hand .223 rifle to a 17 or 20 caliber (17 Hornet, 17 Fireball, 20 Vartarg, etc.). The gun would be used mostly to punch paper, but varmints could be in it's future. Some questions I would like to ask are: can one use same magazines with the smaller calibers, will ejection be a problem with conversions to small calibers, what barrel and twist should I consider, any other considerations one might need to make in making a conversion like this?

2. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Gold $$ Contributor

I have converted a couple of the CZ 527 with excellent results, if it were me again I would look into the 20 vartarg, you can use the 221 fireball magazine.

3. Oso

Oso

I recently converted a Sako L46 to 20 Vartarg. It is a pleasure to shoot with no recoil, and reloading components are big enough to handle without causing arthritis. My 17 cal. bullets are almost too small to handle for reloading.

4. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

A .20 Practical would be the no-brainer chambering for your gun. Just change barrels and you’re done.

5. KY-Windage

KY-Windage

Yes, a 527 American in whatever .17 or .20 caliber you choose is not going to be nearly as much fun to shoot for "paper and varmints" as heavy barrel/action in a target/varmint stock.

If all this is just to get a new toy with the bolt on the left side, I would suggest you forget it and learn to enjoy the right-side bolt on a new varmint-weight rifle. I am r-handed and shoot r-handed but for a bench/varmint rifle I will take a left-side bolt every time I get the chance. Unfortunately that does not happen very often.

6. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like you have a great donor for a 20-222. The 20 Practical AKA 20-223 would be my second choice, can't really go wrong with either. If you're looking for something with factory ammo, I'd chamber it in 204 Ruger. For something in 20 caliber, I'd go with an 1-11 twist barrel.

7. BoomDeBoom

BoomDeBoom

I think I might just shoot the .223 for a while until I make a decision on the caliber change. I am aware of the fact that I will have to change barrels on all of the choices available to me. Since all of the choices I am considering are derivatives of .222 Remington (not Hornet), the bolt face will not be a factor. The magazine and the cartridge feeding and ejection may be a different story. As I understand there are magazines for a number of the choices available to me that will reduce or eliminate these problems.

I appreciate all of your comments and any additional input too help me make this a successful project.

8. Oso

Oso

I looked into doing a cartridge swap a while back and as I recall CZ offers a magazine for 222, which is same used for 221 Fireball. If I am not mistaken that the magazine length has been shortened and is not simply a 223 magazine with a spacer thrown in rear of it. If you choose a 222 based cartridge then you can still use the 223 magazines if you want. However, if you decide to go to a Fireball cartridge (17 Fireball or 20 Vartarg) then you will need the shorter 222 magazines, which also mean that you'll need to replace the bottom metal/trigger guard for the correct size magazine opening.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mark W likes this.
  9. Mark McMahon

I would think you would want to go with the 221 fireball magazine

10. Oso

Oso

Is the 221 Fireball the 222 magazine, but with a rear spacer?

11. Mark McMahon

I'm not for sure but I don't believe so, really need a side by side to see

12. tj66

tj66 Silver $$ Contributor

I just had a 20vt built on CZ 527 223 action. Using 223 mags and they work fine. No failures feeding or ejecting

Mark W likes this.