Cleaning Moly From Barrel

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by psdan000, Dec 29, 2010.

1. psdan000

psdan000

I purchased a used rifle from a buddy of mine. its a savage 243 with approx 200 rounds through it, some of which were moly coated v-max bullets. I was wondering what kind of products out there will clean the moly out of the barrel and chamber, or if it's something I even need to worry about? Thanks for the help

Dan

2. rubbershotgun

rubbershotgun

remington 40x bore cleaner (or equivalent) along with a brand new brass brush will get the moly out, it will take some time and effort but it will go out.

3. 15Tango

15Tango

JB Compound.

Wayne

4. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

Another thing that works for me is Kroil.It seems to disolve the moly.I use a 7mm plastic bristle brush instead of bronze.The 40x works and so does JB bore compound but I think a good wet patch or two and let the kroil soak in for a half hour and thenbrushing will do the trick.

5. GeorgeS3

GeorgeS3

+100 on the JB....

George

6. necchi

necchi

Oh it's something to worry about.
    I havn't shot alot of moly, but I did shoot 40 rounds of Winchester Supreme ammo with Nosler Ballistic Silver tips, that stuff they call "Lubalox", whatever it's a black coating.
    When I went back to shooting just typical jacketed cup-n-core bullets they sprayed all over the place!!
    Took me two days of overnight soaking and brass brush scrubbing to get the bore clean of that stuff.
    I understand if coated bullets are used primarily in a gun there's no issue, but changing back, and all the cleaning I had to do was enough for me to see little gained by, and swear off using the coatings.
    I recently read that Vinegar (mild acetic acid) will clean moly off the bullets. If it does so, then I'd see little harm to using vinegar to clean the moly/Lubalox from the bore.
    Too bad I'll never know, because I'll never shoot them things again. But that is something to keep in mind when buying a used gun.

7. bozo699

bozo699 Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on what Wayne said
    The other Wayne :D