Cleaning a barrel with felt vs patches

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Hengehold, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Tim s

Tim s

Lets make that 200 feet.

2. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Silver $$ Contributor

Now if someone made pellets in 17 Cal that would screw on an adapter, I would be happy!

foxguy and USMCDOC like this.
  3. Hoser

Hoser

I have been using the VFG pellets for years for both rimfire and centerfire.

I have a Lilja tight-bore barrel that will throw an occasional flier or three after 100-150 rounds. Running a scope in there I can see where the fouling starts to build up. 2-3 pellets soaked with Kroil and Shooters Choice gets rid of it and the rifle goes right back to shooting greater than 10.4s and up.

For centerfire I clean with them every couple hundred rounds or when I see carbon fouling building up. Most all my centerfire barrels are Kreiger or Bartlien.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dc.fireman

dc.fireman Sling & Irons! Silver $$ Contributor

Hengehold -

I shoot a fair amount ( 5K-6K rounds) per year of Conventional & Metric Smallbore Prone (as do Mark & Tim). I use the VFG system with good results, in my air pistol & air rifle; I've stuck with a traditional rod/bore guide/jag/patch arrangement for my smallbore rifles.

Like Tim, I clean frequently, often after a match while the barrel is still warm.

Both systems seems to work great for me, and I haven't felt the need to experiment much. The felt cleaning system, as Mark says, are a good tool for Jr. shooters to use, because it's difficult to tear up a barrel with them.

For adults, competitors, or anyone moderately careful, it's probably easier to use the traditional bore guide/rod/jag & patch method.

5. 1813benny

1813benny

If you read the entire article, Eley DOES in fact specifically state that regular cleaning every 200-300 rounds is required. This information is in the light blue section at the end of the article called "Clean More Thoroughly after 200-300 rounds".

Additional information is on the actual Eley site under four (4) additional sections about rifle maintenance of top Olympic level shooters who all state that they clean their rifles after every shooting session.