carbon wrap barrel question

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by Borisserge, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Borisserge

Borisserge

I'm already planning a few comps in the winter (don't ask...lol) and I was wondering how carbon wrap barrels fare in the cold (0°F) in a PRS competition?

Any experience on these, please feel free to share.

2. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

In all honesty, mine walk badly when hot. Groups open up quickly too. Winter may help combat this.

Raythemanroe likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

They sure are expensive to burn up in a prs match, especially when most wont outshoot a good barrel at half the cost

4. Borisserge

Borisserge

I ask as it will be a rig that is weight sensitive (ie. It's snow shoe trekking events that run over 2 days..... backpacks run at 60lbs+)

5. Straightshooter1

Straightshooter1 Gold $$ Contributor

Just really need to be aware, mainly with regards to heat, that these are thin steel barrels wrapped in a carbon fiber blanket, very stiff - yes, but where the heat is slow to dissipate from the inside. That's really not an issue for hunting applications. But if you've got to fire a series with somewhat rapid fire, that heat is going to build up fast and dissipate slow. A cold environment is going to mitigate this to some extent, depending on rate of fire and just how cold "cold" is.

6. Borisserge

Borisserge

Cold will be daytime 0°f to -5°f

7. Dusty Stevens

I believe youd be better served with a nice palma or mtu taper barrel and send it to @boltfluter to get fluted. Itll look better, be approx 1/3 the price, and last longer. I dont think youll notice the extra weight

simo hayha, boltfluter and Borisserge like this.
  8. Clancy

I still suggest steel for high volume shooting, but a fluted steel barrel certainly isn’t 1/3 of the price. $510 vs $700.

I don’t really think anything comes close to a proof in the looks department, but that’s not what’s important.

9. Dusty Stevens

Retail on the best barrels out there is $345. Proof barrels used to be quite a bit more than that (edit: still cant find one for $700) then get it fluted for $175-$200 or so and you have a cool looking barrel with a top shelf blank inside. Im not knocking carbon barrels (pretty much all i hunt with) but theyll never shoot with a half price SS barrel from a top maker

simo hayha and Nomosendero like this.
  10. Clancy

I actually paid less than that for mine. It never hurts to call and ask. In fact, I don’t buy anything online anymore without first calling around. Just recently, I saved several hundred dollars on two of the new NX8s just by making a phone call.

Borisserge and Dusty Stevens like this.
  11. Nomosendero

Nomosendero

Good to know, I plan on a build soon Lord willing, maybe just a stainless fluted of good quality makes more sense for me!

12. L W P

L W P

So is the heat contained to the small diameter barrel inside the carbon fiber wrap? Because it's gotta go somewhere and after 10rds a guy shooting next to me at the range said that his Proof barrel wasn't even hot.

13. Dusty Stevens

They say the carbon wicks it out. I think it insulates it. I wouldnt shoot long strings with em myself

14. L W P

L W P

Kinda my thought also, on the insulating part. Maybe just hold in the heat?

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  15. Dud

Dud

Proof's whole thing is a different type of fiber and/or resin that makes the carbon transfer heat very well.

I would still try to avoid shooting rapidly but I don't think it's much worse than in a light weight steel barrel and it might be a lot better than some of the other carbon barrels that are built like insulators.

16. Straightshooter1

The resin and particularly the carbon fiber does NOT transfer heat very well (typically, that's one of the positive attributes that it's often used for in other applications) . . . any way anyone, including Proof, wants to slice it. The barrel isn't hot to the touch because of the insulating the carbon fiber wrapping provides. Tests have shown that steel transfers heat faster than any carbon fiber material.

What makes a carbon fiber barrel attractive is that it's really tougher and stiffer than an all steel barrel, AND it is lighter. This makes it great for packing around for hunting. Oh yes . . . a carbon fiber barrel does look pretty cool, IMHO. :cool: :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    villarreal likes this.
  17. Dud

Dud

I know graphene has some pretty fantastic physical properties. That's not what Proof is using but the point is carbon can behave very differently depending on the molecular structure.

boltfluter likes this.
  18. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

There are probably many more ounces to be saved on other equipment rather than the rifle, and more than likely done much cheaper. I have a proof barrel and it shoots good but I wouldn't own it if I didn't get a smoking deal on it.

19. Straightshooter1

True.

And I'm somewhat familiar and fascinated with the remarkable properties of graphene (like its ability to self heal). I keep hoping we'll here a lot more about it, including its apparent excellent thermal conductivity.

PS: see https://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-thermal

20. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Pound for pound carbon fiber is stronger than steel.. However if you take a simple diameter rod of each material the steel rod will be stiffer. Litz did some experimenting in one of his books on this subject. However this being said, My next barrel for my 300 WSM shall be a carbon fiber barrel.

Edit: The reason for me going to the carbon fiber is this will be a hunting rifle. Carbon fiber will be lighter and plenty stiff enough in a varmint contour. Plus the benefit or the heat dissipation rate.