Button VS Cut rifling?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Retvet09, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Retvet09

Retvet09

Preface: I have no first hand experience with cut rifling of my own.

I have read and heard that cut rifled barrels last "longer" than button rifled barrels. I'm aware of the manufacturing processes for both. So my question is, does cut rifling add real longevity to the life of a barrel or is it just perceived? After all barrel life is subjective with many variables that can contribute to a short or long life span. Thank you in advance for entertaining my silly curiosity.

2. Nightraider

Nightraider

I've got an 6.5cm ABC barrel with 5,020rds on it that will still shoot sub MOA at 1000y and it's button. It's only lost .030" in relation to a new chamber. I've got a brux that's lost .070" in 2200rds in a 6br. What does this mean, absolutely nothing. Each barrel/ cartridge combo is going to generate its own life span. Your loading practices have more to do with life than a barrel mfg practice alone. Run high pressure, get short barrel life.

mac86951, oliver88, Retvet09 and 2 others like this.
  3. mikecr

mikecr

What logic would have rifling method making a difference to barrel life?

msinc likes this.
  4. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I have found no difference in longevity.

5. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

I believe the difference in the style used to bore the barrel, is a person's choice of what they think is best. From what I have read the button allows the bore to be smoother and in need of less, if any, polishing.
    As for which would last longer, that is more in how often you shoot and how hot a person gets the barrel and causes it to burn or wear out faster. Either style should last a good number of rounds if cared and taken care of properly.

Retvet09 likes this.
  6. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

It may sound rude , but , what ever you believe to be best , will be . Until someone beats you constantly with the other choice .

Zero333, msinc, Drop Port and 4 others like this.
  7. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot both types and worry about it less than it took to type this. Both shoot and both last about the same for me.

8. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

I think some feel a button pulled or pushed through creates a harder surface or something like that. Yet I believe steel and so many other variables will have an effect on barrel life.. Probably the cleaning practices of the shooter would have more of an impact..
    Ray

9. Retvet09

Retvet09

That's what I'm asking. Apparently like I was thinking to begin with and from the replies here there is no real appreciable difference in barrel life from one to the other.

butchlambert and swd like this.
  10. Retvet09

Retvet09

Thank you to everyone, your replies just confirmed what I was already thinking.

Ggmac likes this.
  11. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

One point I did not read here ? The maker of the Barrels ?
    Once had a Button Barrel made by a Top Maker on a AR Service Rifle NRA Shooting .
    Always had a needed to be fouled .
    Shot well . Very short life 1700 Rounds .

I was told that some times with Button Barrels the honing can be one sided .
    There is more material removed in one area than another ?

Cut Riffling can be considered to a better to a degree?

Base on the price of a Barrel I will buy Cut .

12. Retvet09

Retvet09

Maybe a barrel here or there but that is not a real appreciable difference. That's happenstance. Plus there is nothing to say that a cut rifled barrel couldn't or wouldn't experience the same issue. Can I impericaly prove this? No, but I would be surprised at the contrary.

13. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

You and I are 50% Correct.
    As states cost of a Barrel ?
    I will but my money in a Cut Barrel every time. I shoot Palma and F/Class . More Cut than Button .

14. Robert

Robert Silver $$ Contributor

Cut and buttoned barrels have all chambers and leades reamer CUT.
    A barrel wear is usually measured at lead elevel moving forward by wear caused by wear and heat erosion.,not at riflung level.
    Where is then the difference?.
    Probably in metal properties and treatment.....
    R.G.C

15. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You see differences within the same manufacture. So I think it would be a tough call to make. If the manufacturer was specing steel softer then I would expect to see some life lost, but I wouldnt be surprised if they shot even better. Some button barrels do in house stress relieving, being in control of that process in house is an advantage IMO.

L.Sherm, Zero333, Ggmac and 1 other person like this.
  16. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Well, most, not all barrel makers do not hone the bore before rifling.

Quote "I was told that some times with Button Barrels the honing can be one sided".

The Sunnen hone that some barrelmakers have used will not hone the bore one sided.

msinc, Ggmac and Retvet09 like this.
  17. Retvet09

Retvet09

I can also agree with this but again this has nothing to do with how the rifling is put in the bore.

18. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Same here.

swd and Retvet09 like this.
  19. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Well, some claim that the rifling is sharper in a cut therefore it will last longer, others claim the button work hardens the surface of the bore therefore it lasts longer. My opinion is that if you see variation in barrels from the same maker then you cant even form a baseline to compare the 2 types. And goes back to the composition and heat treat of the steel, which in my opinion has far more effect on barrel life than how the rifling was formed.

LA50SHOOTER, L.Sherm, Zero333 and 4 others like this.
  20. Retvet09

Retvet09

Absolutely! Which is why I'm trying to understand how some logically come up with the heresy that one lasts longer than the other.