>>>>BULLET COMPARISON CHART?<<<<

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by daniel brothers, Dec 29, 2018.

1. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

I'm wondering if there is some kind of bullet comparison chart somewhere? We have the powder comparison charts, but how about bullets.

Each bullet manufacturer has their types of bullet construction, but how do their bullets compare with other manufacturers?

What bullets match their competitors? Hunting or Target.... MOSTLY CONSTRUCTION TYPE?

Surely there is a chart somewhere.

It's just that some people say that a partition is similar to an interlock... and a SST is similar to a Berger vld.... so surely there must be a chart somewhere that shows similar bullet construction properties...?

2. Drop Port

Drop Port

Mono, cup and core and bonded cup and core. Pretty simple pick construction by manufacturers listing pay lots of money and destroy them on animal tissue and bone or dirt backstop.
    Kind of hard to put one against the other, too many opinions experience and bad shots to get scientific data, at least for hunting.

hogpatrol likes this.
  3. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

Each manufacturer has a spec sheet on their bullets, but it would take someone with lots of time on his hands to extrapolate all the data and get it out to the public.

I down load the specs on the bullets I use, to my phone. I'm constantly going back and forth, trying to sort out BCs, bearing surface, OAL, etc. It's a pita, so I'm all in on your idea. Up to now, Applied Ballistics has come closer to compiling the data in their books, than anyone. New offerings, not so good.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

The closest thing to this that I’m aware of is the applied ballistics reference book.

5. jp

jp Gold $$ Contributor

6. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

I'm really looking for a comparison of construction for hunting bullets... how they compare in hunting situations. Each manufacturer has a line of bullets designed for a specific purpose for penetrating, explosion and so on. I just thought there might be a chart that showed each companies answer of their version of different types of bullets. Like... who's bullet performs like Hornady's SST..? Or who's bullets act like a Barnes TTX.... or who's bullet acts like a Accubond or Partition... and so on...?

If you lay out all the manufactures bullets... who's bullets perform in similar action when hitting a deer or elk size animal. I know that bullet weight and speed all make a difference, but I'm really thinking about bullet construction designed for bullet performance.

I know each company has built their bullet line to compare with other companies bullet lines... there is a cross match in many ways.

LOL.... maybe I'm wanting too much... and maybe I should get off the computer and go chase something...LOL.

MislMan and hogpatrol like this.
  7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

From what I've seen over the years, to a great extent, all bullet manufacturers copy their competitors. VLD design? There are several made by different companies. Who was the first? The rest copied. Bottom line, pick one suitable for a specific mission and put it in the right place, all questions will be answered.

Drop Port and daniel brothers like this.
  8. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

daniel brothers and hogpatrol like this.
  9. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

Dan ... this forum is a great source of information. If you are seeking more detailed data for hunting bullets you may want to visit a site more dedicated to hunting such as ‘longrangeonly.com’. I don’t think there is a chart such as you are seeking but there may be more long range (large game) hunters there to field your inquiries.

daniel brothers and ttfreestyle like this.