Building a pistol on a virgin R700 action!!?!

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by LoanHarvey, Jan 22, 2020.

1. LoanHarvey

LoanHarvey Authorized Valdada Dealer Gold $$ Contributor

Hi Guys,
    I thought I had this all clear and then I begin to read about this here. There are a couple of previous threads I read, and now I am questioning the facts. Here is what I believe to be true. I can build a pistol using a virgin R700 action. The over all length cannot exceed 26". Then, it seems I can pull that barrel and put on a longer barrel if I want, exceeding the 26" rule. (read about the Contender court case on here)

So, now I am a bit confused. Can anyone help me clarify before I make a move here.
    Sure appreciate it. (Below is a pic of my ELR chassis, with rifle shoulder stock removed and handguard. I then spun on the pistol brace. It currently measures 17.5" from back of pistol brace to the bolt face. Does this mean the first barrel I buy needs to be 8.5" or less? Then, one thing that crossed my mind is the pistol brace can be moved forward or back on the tube by loosening the 2 screws and thereby changing the length. Help please...(Bat action laid in there for fun, I will be using the Virgin R700! Althought, the Bat is also a virgin.

Attached Files:

2. Nightraider

Nightraider

A pistol can be any length, just no vertical grip unless it's 28" OAL.

3. LoanHarvey

Is the grip I have on here ok, or do I need to change it?

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

No matter what loopholes you go thru using a non registered action and all that, its not a good idea to use a 700 for a pistol. Remington has never made a 700 pistol and youre going to spend a lot of money to prove youre right if the right person sees it. There is no gun registration so youll have to have your lawyers go find the original 4473 from your ffl and go back to every ffl in the trail proving its never been a rifle. Its just not worth the time in jail and the money proving you’re innocent to use a 700 on a pistol. All the people thats going to tell you after this post its legal has never been thru the battle and are not going to help you with the legal fees to prove the atf wrong.

5. Dusty Stevens

It wouldnt be hard to use an hs precision pistol action in place of the 700 or get stiller to mark a predator as a pistol in the serial no

6. LoanHarvey

What do you think of this? I appreciate your help, thank you
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/rem...handguard-black-cerakote/FC-885293968110.html

7. waltkrafft

waltkrafft Gold $$ Contributor

I think you will be asked to prove it is NOT a "Short Barrel Rifle".

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  8. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

wouldn't be easier to find an xp 100 action and use it. then theres no questions to be answered

swd, NorCalMikie, ridgeway and 4 others like this.
  9. waltkrafft

waltkrafft Gold $$ Contributor

If I was to build something like this, I would go ahead and jump through the hoop to build a legal SBR. Then you are good to go however you configure it. PITA and expensive. But, cheaper than lawyers after the fact if it is ever questioned.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  10. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

D
    Dusty,

Remington does make a 700 pistol now. The Remington 700CP and on the side of the reciever it just says Remington 700.

Guys build AR pistols on undesignated recievers all the time, isnt this the same thing or am I missing something?

11. Dusty Stevens

Its completely legal. But what about that local cop or state trooper looking to get in good with the local atf office? He done fount an illegal conversion and cant wait to report that

NorCalMikie and waltkrafft like this.
  12. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

13. LoanHarvey

I would think the Trooper would be super impressed with my "pistol" concealed and loaded in the vehicle!!! :)

14. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

15. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Xp-100: 1579864247-picsay.jpg

NorCalMikie and Preacher like this.
  16. JSH

JSH

I have seen this topic get way out of hand.
    The ugly topic of the Contender being swapped back and forth from one platform to the other. Then the Encore wether it was sold as a rifle or pistol.
    Falls into the same place as “actions” that are undesignated until sold.

If a LEO is going to be looking at your rig, my thoughts are you did something WAY worse to draw attention to yourself.
    No offense meant, but a large amount of LEO’s are not gun nuts and know little about various platforms let alone bolt action pistols.

I was grilled several years back by a fish and game guy while deer hunting with a large buck in my possession.
    XP-100, 6x45, 223 headstamp.
    He said it was illegal cut down rifle. Then caliber was to small at the time. I explained what it was but he wasn’t buying it. Was going to take truck,gun,deer and me. I had to call to sheriff buddies of mine to vouche for me.
    Was a total mess that day in a driving snow storm to boot.

If your really concerned on a legal action built rig, simple keep copies of the paper work for the action with you. PITA? Yeah sure but may save grief if you hunt out of state........

17. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

In a "hunting situation", I can see problems. Most Game Wardens don't know ALL The Regs so you better be on YOUR game.
    Case in point: Remington XP 100 pistol converted into a rifle. It's MINE and if I want, I'll switch it back to a pistol whenever I want.
    Everybody says "you can't do that"!! BS!!! I've built SPs out of Savage actions. The BATF regs say "the barrel must be 16"+long and the total OAL must be 26"+ long. It looks like a pistol but according to the BATF regs, it's STILL a rifle. And I carry the paper work (Regs) in my range bag to prove it!!
    When they start building a XP 100 with a "left hand" action, somebody PLEASE let me know. I'am right handed but shooting a lefty XP right handed would be a dream come true.:cool::cool:

jhibbard24 and JSH like this.
  18. JSH

JSH

Had an extra XP action and put together a rifle myself.

To my understanding you can buy an action and build a true pistol, as long as the “birth certificate” says it was born as such.
    Born a rifle always a rifle.
    Born a pistol, can be swapped back and forth as wanted.

DickE likes this.
  19. WSnyder

WSnyder

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/bolt-action-pistol-build.3894545/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  20. Nightraider

Nightraider

Undesignated is just that, neither pistol or rifle. The legality isn't muddled or unclear, an action that wasn't a rifle to start with can be either. Plain and simple.

DickE likes this.