Building a new 20 VarTarg

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by K9TXS, Jun 3, 2019.

1. JSH

JSH

Well gents maybe Starline will make some 221FB or better yet 20VT as it probably has a bigger following.
    I see they are making 222. Anyone played with it?
    Heck I would entertain 221 basic even.

2. Oso

Oso

I'm big fan of Starline. Quality product with fair pricing. Most importantly, they are willing to do smaller runs of specialty brass cases, which has helped launch/sustain a number of wildcat rounds over the years. They are in touch with their customers - they now offer 223 brass that is unformed (no neck or shoulder) so that wildcatters can form it into anything they want.

Everyone keeps hoping that Lapua will finally start producing 20 Vartarg.

3. JSH

JSH

The 223 basic is about 25 years to late. There was a group of us that tried to get them to do a basic 222 mag.
    It started off at a some what reasonable cost, we all agreed to move forward with it. We had funds ready to go, then were informed it would be more, we decided it was still a decent deal. Went to go forward with that, hit with more again only now it was double the last cost.

Even with the 223 basic and if one were to cut it down, still heavier taper wall thickness would be a PITA.

A short drawn case should have a proper wall thickness taper.

4. DanS

DanS

Have you ever tried not inserting the magazine in all the way. My mag fits snug so I leave it about 1/8" short of all the way inserted so the keeper doesn't snap

5. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

Not sure what you mean. How is this helping the rifle single feed??? Good way to lose a mag in the field if you ask me.

Bill K likes this.
  6. DanS

DanS

I don't use it in the field, I use it at the bench. So it won't get lost.

What I mean is, instead of inserting the empty magazine all the way into the magazine well until it clicks, insert it about 1/8" shy of that. then you can just drop an cartridge on top of the empty magazine for single loading. It will load the cartridge just like if it was in the magazine.

7. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Well I bought a single load sled/magazine from Bob's Original Sled and it works just great, single loading in my CZ527.

8. Jake Farber

Jake Farber

I recently bought an XP-100 action 20" Heart 1:12 on a McMillan, 32g v max. I named it NAPA because it turned the PD field into a parts house.