BR #28 Powder ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Waldog, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Waldog

Waldog

My Dad was a Benchrest Shooter. He shot 22PPC, 6PPC and 22Waldog. I have a few pounds of powder of his that was popular with benchers shooters in the 1980-1990's. I do know the it is probably a surplus powder of some kind as my Dad had it stored in empty Win 748/760 cans. He removed the WIN labels and the cans are clearly labeled BR #28. I have unable to find any info on the powder, Does anyone have any information on powder?

2. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

Is it a stick powder ? Or ball powder ? It is most likely in the burn range of 4198- lt32 - n130. If it was used in those cartridges. Are you planning on using it yourself ?

3. JMayo

JMayo

Obviously it's labeled burn rate #28.

The charts have changed. Especially since all the new powders (name changes) in the last few years.
    Maybe someone has an older chart to compare with.

Still only a couple of lbs ....keep sake of Dad. Let it be and buy new. Imo

4. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

there were a couple of different burn rates close to 4198 on fast end and 4895 on the slow end. Be careful there is quite a bit that went bad but I can't remember which burn rate except it was all one area that went bad. you will know it will rust everything even close to it and container will disinegrate .....

5. Waldog

Waldog

It's a stick powder. I've got loading manuals dating back to the 1950's and no where can I find reference to BR #28. I think it was fairly common to sell surplus powder under a pseudonym. It hasn't gone bad. Still has nice "acetone" smell and is free from "red dust" and, the cans are in excellent shape. Alway stored in a cool, dry location.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    JSH likes this.
  6. NZ_Fclass

NZ_Fclass

I would fertilise the lawn with it.

Clcustom1911 and shoot4fun like this.
  7. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

Zero333 likes this.
  8. Waldog

Waldog

Funny you should mention Waldog. I have the original 22 Waldog. It was designed by Dan Dowling and named after my Dad, WALDO G. Woodside, hence, WALDOG. Thanks for the links.

9. ebb

ebb

I have shoot a bunch of guns in my life, Jon Newman's 22 waldog is the most accurate of them all. A 30BR is running a close second.

10. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

If I remember your dad had personalized license plates made up that had waldog on them

11. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe original surplus t32 ? That would be great. I think that's what lt32 was made to compare to. ? If i had it i would try it. Just load two each from minimum to max. And chronograph for safety.