Bersin Tool Information

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by D2x shooter, Dec 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. D2x shooter

D2x shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Hello Shooters, I have acquired two Bersin tools - one in 338 and the other in 308. I am trying to find some information:
    1. Are they still made and if so where and by whom?
    imachine@localnet.com this address from the information I could find does not seem to be working.
    2. Can the existing tools be converted to other calibers such as 6BR, 6.5 Creedmore, 6mm Dasher, or 30 BR? If so where can the parts be obtained?
    3. Are these tools still used by long range and or benchrest shooters?

In advance I would like to thank anyone who provides some comments.

Dale Keith

Taildrag15X likes this.
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

They were made by some guys that didnt really shoot. They came to the super shoot one year and demonstrated their tool. After that evidently they sold a few but not very many at all. A machinist or gunsmith can modify the tool to fit whatever case you want- you wont have any luck getting in touch with bersin. The tool is very well made craftsmanship wise

3. D2x shooter

D2x shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you, I did get in touch with the person who made them in his shop in Plattsburgh, Pa. He did have one part I needed. The tool seems to work well.

4. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

They were designed and made in one of our shops, Island Machine, Plattsburgh, NY. ran by Marvin Benton who sold out the shop and retired around 2012. There was a good supply of tool bodies, both finished and in the white that were sold off at his going out of business sale and I believe were purchased by Century Arms International who were one of the authorized distributors.

We got involved with Bersin Tool in 1992 or so with design and marketing which didn't go very well in the beginning....

2. Can the existing tools be converted to other calibers such as 6BR, 6.5 Creedmore, 6mm Dasher, or 30 BR? If so where can the
    parts be obtained?

D2x shooter, any good shop should be able to spin up another body for whatever cartridge you want.

Here's a link for a Century Arms PDF brochure...... https://www.centuryarms.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/BersinAmmunitionMeasuringAdjustmentDevice.pdf

jimmymac and dmoran like this.
  5. savagedasher

savagedasher

I sold mine it sounded like the best thing sence sliced bread
    After I got it I found when you straighten the bullet run out you changed the neck tension
    I think I have a body or two I will give you

teele1 and Taildrag15X like this.
  6. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

The Manatee F-Class shooter tallgun swore by his.....

7. teele1

teele1 Silver $$ Contributor

oh yeah those Manatee guys loved that Bersin Tool. I always wondered what would wallering the bullet in the neck do.... rite Larry? rite Donny?

Dgd6mm and savagedasher like this.
  8. ebb

ebb

I ain't Donny or Larry but I was with you when we got the sales pitch on the Bersin tool and the first time I saw it I was pretty sure that bending loaded ammo was not the way to fix a run out problem.

9. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

Clarence Hammonds told me basically the same thing many years ago. Said he tried one and groups were terrible.

savagedasher likes this.
  10. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

If you're bending the necks there's something wrong, you're using way more force than needed or just not using the tool correctly.

Almost every round I load gets checked with my Bersin Tool, I've used them since the early 90's while we were in development.

11. savagedasher

savagedasher

Wouldn’t you have to bend the bullet or the neck ?

12. ebb

ebb

That's all it does is bend the neck. How can adding pressure to one side or the other do anything else?

savagedasher likes this.
  13. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

A lot of variables, that can sway the results from one persons scenario's and use, to another persons.
    • Amounts of run-out
    • Where the run-out is at
    • Culprits
    • Amount of neck tension
    Regardless, best to solve/fix the runout creations - IME
    I measure for concentric's periodically, to check and maintain my reloading equipment and procedures.

Taildrag15X and Dgd6mm like this.
  14. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

Exactly!

It was born and designed to tweak factory ammo at a Swiss Rifle Club in Montreal and check hand loads, not compete at the Super Shoot with.

As I stated almost every round I load gets checked with my Bersin Tool for just that reason, if there's an issue I want to catch it keeping them
    with in 0.0005-0.0010.

Have either of you ever held one, used one or seen one used?

It's true that you can crank down on the knob and distort the neck, maybe even put a flat spot in the bullet, but then again you wouldn't be using the tool correctly.

dmoran likes this.
  15. savagedasher

savagedasher

You can’t move the bullet in the neck without moving the the neck
    Doing that you reduce the neck tension

16. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^ not much "hands on" by that reply.... lol

While there are definitely scenario's where your right, I'm also aware of scenario's where your wrong.
    Bullet seating created run-out with light neck tension, for one (and there's more).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    Taildrag15X and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  17. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

Neco makes (or use to) a tool that is meant to “straighten” loaded ammo.
    I have yet to use it. Quite simplistic as there are sized holes in a plate to put the bullet into and “push it” after it had been checked and marked appropriately on a concentricity stand. - I got it when I was shooting 50’s regularly as there were times that getting some ammo with G.I. Brass under 0.002 was a challenge even using new un-fired WCC or Pull-Down Lake City brass.

As was stated, better to remedy the cause at the source than to try to “force” it into being straight.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    dmoran likes this.