Bart's Bullet Sorting

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by efoleyjr, Dec 14, 2019.

1. efoleyjr

efoleyjr Silver $$ Contributor

Does anybody sort, tip and or meplat trim Bart's 6mm 105gr bullets? Or are they just so good that that is not needed?

Ed

2. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I dont load the 105's.
    But do load 68gr originals, I measured about a dozen...
    Threw em back in the box realized I'd be wasting my time.
    I picked up 470 of the105 infinity from another member for a friend of mine to shoot out of his 6bra.
    He loads out of the box..
    With internet load data and virtually no tuning. 20191109_155801.jpg

GotRDid, Zero333, mikeinct and 4 others like this.
  3. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Ed,

I only sort my match bullets by overall length into batches that are within.003 of each other. If I get crazy I sometimes trim those batches back to the shortest length of the batch. Nothing else!

Now you'll get all kinds of different answers on the subject. Sorting by Ogive, pointing, weighting, trimming is a Touchy subject with long range shooters.

Bart

1shot, Terry O, boltfluter and 5 others like this.
  4. efoleyjr

efoleyjr Silver $$ Contributor

That is impressive. And just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks
    Ed

GotRDid and Bc'z like this.
  5. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Monetarily speaking barts bullets are cheap for the product your getting!!
    Now if he'd just tool up some .264 caliber, I'd probably never shoot another berger.

6. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

Testing indifference's in your own rifle/setup, is how to find out the truth for your own unique scenario's and abilities.
    What holds true for one person and there Lot of bullets, doesn't mean it will for someone else's Lot.
    Or so is my experience.....

With that all said, all the Bart's Bullets I have used/tried were very consistent, with not much for variation.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    GotRDid, Intheshop, Jet and 9 others like this.
  7. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

Yes

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

The reason for sorting bullets is to obtain more uniform groups and thereby [theoretically] improve the consistency on the target. Measure a handful of bullets by whatever dimension you deem most appropriate, then sort the bullets into subgroups if you NEED to sort, don't sort if it isn't necessary. Questions regarding the sorting bullets come up often at shooting forums. In the past, I have seen many people report that they did not find it necessary to sort Bart's bullets, as they were VERY consistent out of the box. Nonetheless, measuring ~20-30 bullets of whatever brand they may be will give you some idea of the overall range for the chosen measurement (i.e. base-to-ogive, OAL, etc.). If the overall range is ~.005" to .010" (or more), you can easily sort them into a relatively small number of sub-groups of .002" to .003". But if they don't need it, spend your time elsewhere.

FWIW - sorting bullets into sub-groups is a distinctly different idea than culling extreme outliers. No manufacturing process is perfect, and it is possible to have a very small number of extreme outliers, even in a box of bullets where the vast majority are quite uniform. If you want to cull any potential outliers, you'll have to measure all of them. However, it's typically a Yes/No process. They either pass or fail and you're not generating individual subgroups, so it's usually a slightly faster process. I usually load/use any extreme outliers as "foulers", which means you're still getting some use from them, but you're not using up the good bullets on fouling rounds.

GotRDid, Jet, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  9. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

yes..because I had the time, called bart and reported the results
    out of a 500 count box over 470 were the same ogive to base.( less than .001 variation)
    the rest were close.

GotRDid, boltfluter, mikeinct and 3 others like this.
  10. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

I stopped sorting Barts 105gn Hammer bullets. Today, I cant see the difference at 500 yds. Load all my bullets at touch & spend all my time today reading the wind flags.
    Ben

WyleWD, GotRDid, Zero333 and 6 others like this.
  11. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

"within .003 of each other". would that be +or- .0015 ?

GotRDid likes this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The whole point in buying good bullets is so you DONT have to sort them. Youre buying time

13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

And that is something in very short supply!

14. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Yes - and much ,more these days than in 2000. :-/

GotRDid and Bc'z like this.