Barrel Contour for Custom Rifle

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by JohnyRingo, Oct 10, 2019.

1. JohnyRingo

JohnyRingo

I am kicking around the idea of having a custom rifle built. It is going to be a 300 H&H Mag used for hunting elk and deer in Wyoming. I also like to go out and shoot rocks at long distances...maybe 3-5 shots at a time. I am trying to decide on either a carbon barrel or steel. I like the idea of carbon for weight, as most of my hunting involves quite a bit of hiking, but my hunting can be hard on equipment and especially barrels. I don't know how durable the carbon barrel is going to be.

If I go with carbon, it will probably be a Proof Sendero Light at 2 lbs 13 oz. If I go with a steel barrel, it will probably be a Bartlein. I am trying to figure out the contour to keep the weight down, but not sacrifice accuracy. I am thinking a heavy sporter (#3 at 3.5 lbs) with flutes or a medium sporter (#2B at 3.2 lbs). Will I be happy with the accuracy of the these two profiles of steel barrels? I'm expecting to get close to 1/2 MOA. I can shoot 1 MOA with factory rigs all day long.

2. Prose

Prose

Pace of fire would probably play a pretty big role on shots 3, 4 and 5 on a #2 contour. The quality of the rest of the build would also impact accuracy potential, i.e. the stock and bedding get pretty important with that kind of recoil in a light rifle. Shooting skills would also be very important.

Light barrels are capable of extreme accuracy, just not under the same conditions as a heavier barrel. For what you are describing, a #2 would be fine in my opinion. Barrel makers know best though, always ask their opinion. Of course, they want you to be happy with your purchase and will recommend something that they know will meet your needs.

3. ringer

ringer

4. JohnyRingo

JohnyRingo

I am kinda leaning towards a #2B barrel. It is actually a little heavier contour than my current H&H in a Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker and I can shoot it at 1 MOA consistently. The muzzle on the Browning is .605" and the #2b is .630" and the #3 is .670", so they are all really close.