Bad luck stories of shooting/reloading/gunsmithing

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by hillbillydruggist, Feb 17, 2020.

1. hillbillydruggist

hillbillydruggist

I recently posted about my run of bad luck with a 6mm Creedmoor. After that I realized I was not alone in my run of bad luck. I would like to hear some of your stories.

thanks

6MMsteve likes this.
  2. hillbillydruggist

hillbillydruggist

i am sure that I am not alone LOL

500yards and 6MMsteve like this.
  3. Twicepop

Twicepop Silver $$ Contributor

.......if it warn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, gloom, dispair and agony on me. I have two, count 'em TWO different rifles currently that are in need of some serious gun doctorin'. One is a Savage LA single shot that I had re-barreled to 6.5X55 by what used to be a very competent gun schmidt. He asked how do you want it necked and throated, I told him I don't want to turn brass and I plan on shooting 130-145 grain bullets through it. It got necked and throated for what appears to be military ammo, neck diameter of fired brass comes out at .300-.3005", and I can barely touch the lands with a 142 grain Sierra MK. The other rifle is a Winchester M-70 SA in 22-250 that I took a BLANKin' on, I did some horse trading at a gun show and wound up with this turd. A much closer examination after the fact revealed a totally shot out barrel, so the plan now is a rebarreling to 22-250 AI, plus the stock replacement (wanted but not necessarily needed) and scopes for both rifles. The scopes that were on both of them got "re-assigned".

4. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

Luck = When Preparation Meets Opportunity!!

Most of my “bad luck” has been the result of poor planning on my part.

snakepit, GotRDid, Zero333 and 11 others like this.
  5. Big Mc

Big Mc

Amen Mar
    Amen Mark !!!!

6. hillbillydruggist

hillbillydruggist

that's the kind of luck I am talking about! LOL

Twicepop likes this.
  7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

I ran an un-lubed case twice into a sizing die.. Yup got it out and forgot to lube it and ran it right back in... So we have all had issues.. Some worse than others..

8. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

there was a groundhog 100yds from my truck hood I shot at him 17 times and he just kept on eating..:confused:

9. david kieffer

david kieffer Gold $$ Contributor

Red ryder ???

Raythemanroe, plinkman, joshb and 4 others like this.
  10. 6MMsteve

got another when I 1st learned about bumpin shoulders back a couple thou..I was really close then all the sudden I was like .008 off short then long then short..I was turning the lock nut up and turning the die down at the same time I done this for 2 hrs till it hit me

11. 6MMsteve

lol

hillbillydruggist likes this.
  12. hillbillydruggist

hillbillydruggist

my nephew had an SKS that parts started falling off as we walked across a field

dogdude, Intheshop and 6MMsteve like this.
  13. hillbillydruggist

hillbillydruggist

not gun related, but I hit a chughole and blew out right side front and rear tires, called AAA and they told me someone could come buy and change one tire LOL, yeah a didn't renew after that

plinkman, 6MMsteve and joshb like this.
  14. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Dumping powder into un-primed brass....o_O
    Priming 100 pieces of brass with magnum primers then realizing that I no longer use mag primers in anything I am loading for......o_O.....( I gave the rest of the 1000 away.........)

dogdude, 6MMsteve, joshb and 2 others like this.
  15. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

"Most of my “bad luck” has been the result of poor planning on my part."

Wish I had learned this much earlier in life! Would have saved me a lot of money and aggravation.

Regarding the topic of the thread. In the 70's I had an alleged smith drill a .222 Walther for Unertl mounts. He drilled the receiver and installed the receiver block with a screw that drug on the locking lug, not hard to correct, but he drilled the barrel block screw holes into the bore. Still shot and killed ground hogs but the work was beyond shoddy.

338 dude, joshb, GSS and 1 other person like this.
  16. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Last week I stopped at the range on the way to work and dumped the box of ammo that I had organized for a load test

Not a catastrophic mistake but damn it pissed me off for the lost time and opportunity

17. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett Gold $$ Contributor

Almost had to buy a cow yesterday ! At our local range 200 yds. behind the 600 yd berm a farmer lets his cows graze in the field DIRECTLY in line with the targets.While testing Bergers new 7mm bullets at 300, I forgot to dial my scope down from the last 1000 yd match.That was a cold feeling !

dgeesaman, GotRDid, 338 dude and 5 others like this.
  18. hillbillydruggist

hillbillydruggist

cows are expensive!

GotRDid and 338 dude like this.
  19. Jalen

Jalen Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve done that before, now I color the bullets with a sharpie and make a note of what’s what.

20. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

My last foul up was sizing some cases that had a questionable history. There was only about 10 of them to do. On the third one, the neck pulled off in the die. I finally found a way to get the necks out of the die without screwing up the die. A smart man would have thrown the rest of the cases in the trash at that point. But not me :D.
    I was persistent and pulled off 3 more necks. On the bright side, I completed my task.