Attn UBR Shooters!!

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by gunsandgunsmithing, Aug 11, 2019.

1. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Ya'll wanna have some fun?

The UBR Nationals are September 13th and 14th. I wonder if there'd be any interest in a friendly competition between the states represented there. We could put a few bucks each into a pot, take the aggs of each shooter, from each state..add them and avg them to come up with the winning team. Winner take all or we could pay back 3 places, etc.

Since people travel, I think we should go by the state you live in. I'm in Kentucky, so the rest of ya'll suckers might as well just go ahead and give us your money. Lol!

What do you think?

TonyinKY and SSeal like this.
  2. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

You are a true Sport..... :) ;)

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  3. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Hey, it's the Tn bunch that has been winning most of the Nats. They let a guy from Alabama sneak in and win custom class there last year. Lol! Mike Neville kicked butt! There were two from Tn, 1 from Va and 1 from Al.

It's all in fun! And on that note...I didn't see ANY from the great state of WV. They'll know what I mean! ;)

There's at least one coming from Texas. He just finished 4th in the IBS Nats. He could have a good pay day!

4. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Gotta look that venue up. Wifey wants to "go somewhere"........ This trip might cure her of that notion or at least make her be more specific.

5. gunsandgunsmithing

Come on..Ringer! Lol!

Seriously, I haven't missed one of these and they are always a good time and good folks.

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Where will it be?

7. gunsandgunsmithing

Just outside of Danville, Ky. Boyle County Fish and Game Club

8. Danoh

Danoh Gold $$ Contributor

Dang, if I still lived in Berea I could make that!

9. johnmyers

johnmyers Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like fun. I would do it

10. TonyinKY

TonyinKY Silver $$ Contributor

Mike, I'm thinking about shooting. Can you get up some money for me to not shoot with you other KY guys? :)

Shooter13 likes this.
  11. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm open to bribes! LOL sounds like a good time!

12. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

With all the good shooters in KY and TN, this doesn't look good for a PA boy.

13. dirtworks5

dirtworks5 Gold $$ Contributor

There might be a couple from Indiana that would play along Mike.

WyleWD and Jim Esarey like this.
  14. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

WV fame doesn't come off a bench does it? Always thought their thing was 3P

15. Redneck01

Redneck01

Mike--would you still try to get this bet up if Brud Sheats wasn't on the KY team?

TonyinKY and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  16. gunsandgunsmithing

Well JR, yes, I probably would. It's ironic that you post that on the anniversary of Mike Niblett's passing. Ky lost it's top shooter and great man, in this game 2 years ago, Aug 13, 2017. Brud was a close friend to Mike and he's doing a great job of carrying on Mike's legacy for him and Brud is shooting very well, no doubt.

But since you asked, I did a quick research of past winners at the UBR Nationals.

We held the very first Nats in 2012 and have had 7 to date. There are 4 classes, factory, modified, custom and unlimited for a total of 28 national champions crowned. Of those, a shooter from Tennessee has won 16 of them with you winning twice and your good friend Garry Lawrence winning an astounding 5 national titles!

It breaks down like this--
    Tennessee--16
    Virginia--3
    Kentucky-3
    Indiana--2
    Alabama-2
    Louisiana-1
    Ohio-----1

So, you've won 2 and your friend(and mine) and traveling partner Garry Lawrence have more than doubled up the next closest STATE in national titles....and you're worried about Brud, who is very good but has never won one of these, nor did Mike Niblett. I find it funny that you'd be worried about anyone, sir! :)

And yes, if you had asked about playing the game between the states that I'm bringing up while you were on top, I still would've bet on my Ky team.

You are one of, if not the top shooter in our game and you're almost always at or near the top.

Now, what I have in mind is to avg all shooters' scores, and segregate by state and class. This way, one shooter doesn't carry all the mail but rather, is a team challenge between the states represented. The team with the most participants will have to divide the winnings among the most shooters, so will get less than say a one man team from Texas, for example. But they will also have put the most money into the pot.

I just think it sounds like fun and will add a little spice and comradery to things is all. No one is forced to play. I haven't spoken to Brud about this. He may not want to participate. That's up to him, like with all.

Just stop whining and bring an extra few bucks and let's see how it goes. I think $5 per gun is what we'll do. 100% payback to the winning team in each class. I will add, should someone have an equipment failure or otherwise not complete the match, his or her score will not be counted, due to it adversely affecting their team's scores. No refunds though. Another option to that could be to drop the lowest score on each team.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Redneck01 and TonyinKY like this.
  17. gunsandgunsmithing

Gonna have to change it a bit...the avg thing won't work due to giving a 1 man team a big advantage.

It will be winner takes all for his/her state in each class.

18. Redneck01

Redneck01

Mike Niblett was probably one of the best that ever squeezed a trigger, I have the utmost respect for his legacy, I think Brud is one of the best in the class now, and a super nice guy.
    I'm not going to get into this whining BS with you.
    My thought on the team idea is to drop scores from the top and bottom shooters then do the math. Just an idea
    JR

ttfreestyle likes this.
  19. gunsandgunsmithing

Lol! It's gotta be winner take all or the 1 man teams will only have to shoot the average of a multi man team to win.

I was just giving you a hard time with the whining comment. Lighten up ol buddy... It's all for fun.
    You're still one of the ones to beat. You should like the winner take all aspect, I would think. Based on past results and how well many are shooting, if I were from TN, I'd jump at the chance to win a few bucks. It's still a team challenge, so if anyone from Tn wins their class, the whole Tn team wins that class. I like your odds but anyone can rise to the top and their team wins. I also like Ky's odds and there are shooters from everywhere that can come in and win it. It might bring in shooters from other states. If they win, it'd be a good pay day if they don't have to split with anyone or, very many at least.

You don't have to play but I'm sure the other Tn shooters hope you do.

20. Jim Esarey

Jim Esarey

This Hoosier is in with Vern and John. And we can't forget our buddy Weldon.