AMP Annealer Question

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by vanwhyjr, May 8, 2019.

1. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Frank VanWhy Silver $$ Contributor

I have recently gained access to an AMP with the AZTEC software. I have been annealing with a torch and drill in the past. I usually anneal all my brass, then resize, then throw them all in the corn cob to tumble. My question is, is it ok to put the fired brass in the AMP with out cleaning it first? I doubt it will have an affect, but I thought I would see what you guys think first.
    Thanks
    George VanWhy

2. savageshooter86

savageshooter86 Silver $$ Contributor

Yes. You can. Your AZTEC setting might change from dirty brass vs clean

I think they had write up on their website about this topic too. That might be worth checking out

3. 22DASHER

22DASHER

I highly recommend cleaning them prior to annealing. Read the notes sent with from AMP. It can damage one of the internal components

4. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Frank VanWhy Silver $$ Contributor

If that's the case I will clean them prior. It's not mine and I do not want to damage it.
    Thanks Dasher

5. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

I deprime, wash the brass in a pail with soapy water (Dawn), rinse (takes less than 5 min in 5gal pail), dry then anneal. This does two things for me....it keeps crud out of the annealer and cleans the brass surface so any contaminates do not scratch my dies.

6. 6MT

6MT

Yep, clean brass (wet tumbled) is what I anneal. I've seen a cruddy pan from the first gen AMP machine. It ain't pretty.

vanwhyjr likes this.
  7. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

Spoke with Alex about this in depth, he has published an article about this. No difference in the annealing setting for clean Vs dirty brass.

Jet likes this.