Amazingly small vertical from my tactical rifle!

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by steve123, Nov 7, 2019.

1. steve123

steve123

Hey guys I just had to share this crazy small vertical I shot this morning at ""1000Y"" with my 6mmBR - as witnessed by two of my shooting buddy's, Steve and Mark.

I know it's almost unbelievable but that is a mag full consisting of 10 shots. The big group has 4 or 5 shots in it, I'll get back to that soon.

The high one is about 4" above and the rest are into 1.3" vertical, for 9 shots!!!

So if you look closely there are two holes from my 30 caliber that got poked through this AR400 steel at 200Y many years ago. Those holes just happen to be close to where the larger group of hits from my 6mmBR are. The reason I said 4 or 5 hits is because I didn't hear one of the shots hit the steel. If you look closely at the 10 oclock position on the higher and right-er poked hole there is a graze on the edge of it, at least I think it is, and I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt, [​IMG]

This was shot at around 50 degrees in a half value wind of 1-4 mph with a DA of 6000.

Shot prone from the bed of my truck off the LRI bipod and Traid tactical rear bag. Mausingfield action, Shilen select match prefit, Bighorn barrel nut, TT diamond trigger set at 10oz, GRI Bolthorn chassis, S&B 5-25x56 PM2 in ARC rings.

Edit - load is 30.4 grains of Varget, CCI450 primer, Lapua brass, 105gr Berger hybrid about .030"off lands. 2906 fps

One of the luckiest shooting days I've ever had!

Thank you Steve for inviting me along today!

DSC00168.JPG DSC00170.JPG

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Nature Boy, Dgd6mm, dminn1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

Nice work with the little BR ...

3. 6brbb

6brbb

6mm BR magic!!

243BR likes this.
  4. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Great vertical. I love my 6br, just started shooting it a couple of months ago. PRS rifle.

5. steve123

steve123

Thanks Rushty.

Probably never happen again like this but I'm content that it did.

Last winter I was at 1025Y with another friend with this rifle and was able to put in 4.5" vertical for 13 shots which was my personal best up to that point.

I'm completely sold on 6mmBR or it's variants so I'm considering trying 6BRA for the next barrel.

Seems like I just bought this barrel but it's already at 1000 rounds.

6. steve123

steve123

They really do have a magic to them!

243BR and SPJ like this.
  7. steve123

steve123

I like the low recoil, good barrel life, low ES, the Lapua brass and it's extended service life, and only sacrificing about .2 mil of windage at 1000Y compared to my old favorite the 6x47L.

I got 6 fps ES for 5 shots the first time I chronoed my load 9 months ago and 6 fps ES the last time which was 3 months ago. That used to be the SD with my 6x47L load!

Gotta love it!

Dgd6mm likes this.
  8. Darwin

Darwin Gold $$ Contributor

Nice shooting!

steve123 likes this.
  9. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

Nice shooting, good looking rig as well.

steve123 likes this.
  10. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

Keep shooting more shots into the group and it will start to round out more.

steve123 likes this.
  11. Steve Donlon

Steve Donlon Gold $$ Contributor

Your welcome to shoot with us anytime. We like to shoot with someone that out shoots us. Gives us a challenge. That was and always will be weird place for wind. It will blow one way then stop and blow the other way when there is no wind. Can't believe how fast you got those down range. Impossible with a 30-06. Great shooting! Got to like those 6mm rounds I might have to try those when I get older.

12. steve123

steve123

Thanks again Steve!

Out shoot??? I don't know man, Mark showed me the photo of all those 30-06 bullets you piled up in the bull at 800Y! Doesn't get much better than that! Plus you laid that bullet right on the spot at 1010Y last time out.

It's pretty cool that we met here on Accurate Shooter forum! Always great to both meet and make new friends.

13. Steve Donlon

Steve Donlon Gold $$ Contributor

It's a good thing to met other shooters in your area here at Accurate Shooter and am grateful for all the knowledge I have received. But I have to admit that no matter how accurate you can shoot the faster you can put the bullets down range the higher your score will be if you can read the wind. Those 6mmBR rounds are very cool. Would like to have one some day. Keep up the great shooting.

steve123 likes this.
  14. offgrid

offgrid

Nice shooting Steve!
    Hope to see you at Raton next season.

15. steve123

steve123

I hope so but it'll be a long road to recovery due to pain in my legs and feet. It hurts bad the next day just to walk down my road 1200 yards but I'm working it out.
    The SRM has been my favorite match of all time, and happened to be the one that got me hooked on long range steel shooting! Wish I lived closer too!

16. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Great shooting No Doubt still scratching my head on the 2906 feet per second

17. steve123

steve123

It's a fast barrel for sure. Yes I will miss this barrel when it's done! I use an Oehler and the dope lines up well in the ballistic program. Brass life might be shorter than a 30 grain load but no signs of giving up at 7 cycles. Just where the node is from the ladder test I did after the barrel had sped up in a 100+ rounds. I do load 30.3 grains in the summer months which is the same velocity.