6.5x47 Lapua vs 6.5 Creedmoor accuracy nodes

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by Daimon, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Daimon

Daimon

Hi!

I wonder if anyone has experience reloading BOTH 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor. Lapua is known for wide accuracy nodes, Creedmoor has more velocity - wonder if Creedmoor is as easy to reload as Lapua in regards of accuracy and node widths.

2. BCBRAD

BCBRAD

An accuracy node is directly related to barrel length, if the CM and x47 have the same barrel length then the accuracy node will be the same.
    However, two barrels the same length, same caliber, same bullet may have different charge weights. One bullet may have a different acceleration rate but have the same exit velocity. So one may arrive at the muzzle quicker than the other but both exit at the same velocity.

Evan and hambone1971 like this.
  3. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

In my experience, my experience will often have little / no bearing on your experience.

If I have a CM and x47 bbl, and so do you, then we have 4 bbls to create variables. In my experience, they will indeed vary.

One exception to all that was with my 6.5 CM. People told me 140 grain bullets with 41.5 grains of H4350 and that pretty much proved out to be exactly the best load. That load hasnt worked out for others. Likely because when Different people start hand loading ammunition , You add several dozen more variables.

But generally speaking the only universal is that there are no universals.

4. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^You could start a thread just on this one post right here.

5. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

Or this one, "In my experience, my experience will often have little / no bearing on your experience."

hambone1971 and SPJ like this.
  6. fantastic

fantastic

6.5CM wins,

The x47 is too expensive compared, no where near the support as 6.5CM, the velocities are slower and you have to push it to the limits to get the proper speed, and those who cry, but lapua brass, that is just a smoke screen.

The only benefit was when there was no 6.5CM because it was then only compared to the 260REM and at the time guys were loading that too long to fit in a magazine. The 6.5CM solved the same problem with magazine length loading.

6.5CM all day long

7. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I see 6.5x47 at LR events
    Creedmoor not so much

mjeff23, lh leggtowner and Mark W like this.
  8. BCBRAD

BCBRAD

A wide accuracy node may be confused with Optimum Charge Weight (OCW). This indicates the optimum powder and charge, with the components used, that displays a nice flatish pressure curve around peak pressure. A pressure profile such as this (a long wide pressure curve with deterrent chemicals in the powder consumed at peak pressure) will mask, at least to a degree, any variables in the loaded cartridge, such as varying charge weight, COL, internal volume of case etc.

Evan likes this.
  9. ToddKS

ToddKS Gold $$ Contributor

I have found the 6.5 Creedmoor very easy to load for.

140gr Berger Hybrid and Somewhere between 41 and 42 grains of H4350 has worked for both of my barrels as well as the rifles of several friends.

10. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Both are excellent cartridges with excellent brass available. I don't know why guys get all uppity about it. If you can't win with one it's doubtful you'd win with the other. The Creed gets a little more speed if that's what you need. Both are extremely accurate.

lh leggtowner, Evan and Rogmay like this.