6.5 Grendel Ackley Improved

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by Dave in WI, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Dave in WI

Dave in WI Runs with scissors Silver $$ Contributor

Anybody experiment with something like this? Got a customer wanting to do a 6.5 Grendel with the 40° shoulder.

2. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving Gold $$ Contributor

like the 6mm turbo AR necked up to 6.5, or just a straight 40 shoulder? Seems interesting; but I've found a TON of 6.5 cartridges out there. Aside from why not, I have a PPC bolt face; I'd ask why? The 40 degree grendel case isn't going to be a 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, or a 260 Remington, several of those do just fine in a standard short action.

If sticking to PPC bolt face; look to what the 6mm grendel; and affiliates are doing. Getting close to 6BR, but 6Dasher, 6BRA, or others are still a velocity node above the PPC based cases...

If you want maximum from a mini-action I could see it for hunting; or heck just for using the action; but I don't know if I'd hope it would replace the mid-size 6.5s.

-Mac

Hohn likes this.
  3. Dave in WI

Thanks for the reply, Mac. No answer to the why other than he wants it. Built a 308x1.5 Barnes cuz he didn't want 300 Blackout. He is just a fan of Ackley Improveds and wants to do it with Grendel. Specifically 6.5 caliber. Yes, the 6mmAR Turbo Improved necked up would be pretty much the same.

Ramblerman likes this.
  4. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERSE 15 Silver $$ Contributor

FOR WHAT IT IS IT'S JUST HARD TO BEAT THE LITTLE 6.5 GRENDEL OR THAT'S WHAT I'VE FIGURED OUT WITH IT I'VE MADE SOME PRETTY SHOTS WITH MY MINI WITH 90GR HP ON VARMINTS

jkruger and Ramblerman like this.
  5. mac86951

Well, to each their own. I'd be looking at a 1:8 with the 123-130gr class, and the usual seating to neck shoulder junction. Alexander and Lapua brass is excellent and should have great results. I'm at about .289 for loaded Hornady on neck diameter, 0.290 for Alexandra/Lapua. Certainly a bolt action and may as well be single feed, cause that's what you'll need. Grendel does great with Varget, h335, benchmark, and other powders in that range. May shift toward n140/h4895 more for the larger capacity. Would also recommend a 26" barrel and long throat to seat those bullets way out there. Might be extra fun with the Speer 90 TNT's

-Mac

jkruger likes this.
  6. JASmith

JASmith

7. Dave in WI

His plan is for a bolt action repeater

mac86951 likes this.
  8. mac86951

Definitely look into what chassis / mags to use. Most Grendel mags are 2.260 and the deeper seating is eliminating the extra room generated. How it'll feed from a short action mag with 2.825" will be a different question, but has probably been resolved by PPC shooters?

-Mac

9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The ppc always ends up being a single shot

10. NZ_Fclass

NZ_Fclass

Sako made a PPC repeater in the 80's on a fairly short action rifle. As for Grendel Ackley..really dont bother. Good performance can be had by using an action longer than the Howa and running with faster powders,, I use Power Pro Varmint. Well accurate with Lapua brass and 123g projectiles. Also playing with 8208(promising,albeit slower) and Benchmark.

11. Oso

Oso

Maybe he is a perfect candidate for necking up a new 6GT to 6.5GT. He would have a unique chambered rifle.