.30-06 F-Class Rifle

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by Mike Conroy, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Mike Conroy

Mike Conroy

I have always loved the 30-06. I own several Garands, Springfields and Enfields. I used to do some NRA High Power and Service Rifle shooting but as of recent, I really have gotten bit shooting F Class Open matches. I have had a custom 30-06 built and I did so using all the knowledge that German Salazar brought to the table. My first rifle that I had custom was a regular Remington 700 LA and I had the 29" 1:11 twist heavey palma barrel put on it. The reamer used of course was the PT&G Serengeti. I shot the hell out this rifle, really learned on my own what works and what doesnt work with the 30-06 for competition.

So, about a year ago, I had a custom rifle made buy a rifle-smith that does excellent work. The rifle is built upon a Kelbley's Atlas Tactical receiver, this barrel is a Proof Research 26" 1:10 twist M24 contour (same PT&G reamer used), sitting in an XLR Element chassis. There is a Triggertech trigger installed and is set for 1.5 lbs. I have a mercury filled recoil reducer installed in the buffer tube of the chassis and this tames recoil a lot. Overall,the rifle comes in just shy over 19lbs.

I love the look on peoples faces when I shoot competitions and they ask me what caliber I am shooting. I get looks like I have three eyes when I tell them the rifle is a 30-06. My primary goto load for this rifle has been shooting a 190 Berger VLD over 51.5 grains of IMR 4350, using Lapua cases and a Tula magnum primer. The bullet is jammed into the lands and I am pushing it out as 2585 fps.

This is by no means the fastest velocity, but I have learned the hard way that faster many times doesn't give you precision. This velocity is like Cinderella and her glass slipper. I have shot very well with it at 300, 600 and 1000 yards. I can honestly tell you that I have set aside my .308 and all my other caliber rifles because I have been enthralled with the 30-06 caliber. It's one thing reading all of the posts, articles and threads German Salazar has put out in the past.

However, the real deal is actually doing this on your own, learning about your own rifle's internal and external ballistics. I will continue to shoot the 30-06 for as long as I can. LOL...I actually shot my very first sniper match with it and for a newbie in that discipline, I cam in middle of the pack. Here are some pics of the rifle. I have named her The Black Bitch. She is mean and sexy and can reach out and touch things out to 1800 yrds. Pictured is the rifle itself, some recent midrange match scores and my son shooting her at a 1000 yrd F class match.

Attached Files:

Mark W, Nature Boy, Zero333 and 10 others like this.
  2. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

And ppl wonder why all gun owners end up getting labelled ugly things like "racist"

Sometimes.... we are our own worst enemies. SMH

Nice rifle. Terrible name.

waltkrafft, Ccrider and Terry like this.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins

PC doctrine dictates that all phrases and names be taken in the worst possible way.

McGraw, DirtySteve, brxbrad and 5 others like this.
  4. garandman

The Golden Rule dictates I not do things that can easily be foreseen to be unnecessarily offensive.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. Want respect? Show it.

I'm not seeing ANY good way that "bitch" can be taken. Worse yet, combining it with "black."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Centuriator likes this.
  5. garandman

I'm done. Carry on.

Centuriator likes this.
  6. akajun

akajun

Well the first 03a3 I ever bought was a greek return with Black Walnut wood that oozed cosmoline for a long time, ( yes I made an oven and baked it all out, no shit it took a few years) The gun shot very well and earned me 4th place in the games matches at perry. Its name, Black Nasty.

Mike Conroy, mikeinct and NorCalMikie like this.
  7. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I get it. It's just too bad that we've as a country have arrived at this place where if I call my rifle a "Black Bitch" , it must mean I'm white and racist. I had a black captain in my job years ago. I made a comment about how our Dept got a black eye from officers actions. He immediately took offense to that remark. All I can say is SAD. The racism thing is clearly one sided. How dare white folk make any comments that may offend a black person. I got called a cracker most of my LE career by blacks. That's acceptable. Go figure.

McGraw, AckleymanII, hunter67 and 8 others like this.
  8. garandman

Sending PM

9. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Black folks call each other N****R but if a cracker does it???:rolleyes:
    Black Bitch reminds me of a Black Lab I had when I was a kid.;)
    Words are only "racist" if you make them that way.
    You show me on this little doll where that hurts you.:D:p:rolleyes:

dm.oakes, charcher, Mulligan and 9 others like this.
  10. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter Silver $$ Contributor

Racisim is a one way street. It ALL depends on who is doing the so called name calling.

OP, back to first post. That is some fine shooting. Looks like to me there is a 9 that looks like a 10. I have thought several times about shooting F Class with a 30-06. The 185-190 class of bullets have something going for them. I'm getting recoil shy as I get older and like the lighter calibers and less powder burn too. Thought about building a 6-06 but still just a thought. Good shooting,keep it up.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Mike Conroy and 284winner like this.
  11. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Once you go black you'll never go back.

Attached Files:

12. Bindi2

Bindi2

I have had a number of BLACK BITCHES over the years. They are loyal to the last sigh.
    Good shooting nice out fit.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  13. cmillard

cmillard

Nice rifle. Love the .30-06. PC culture has got to go. For those of you that are so easily offended, please make a list of ALL words in the dictionary that MAY offend. I would love the silence afterwards as liberals won't be able to speak

14. simo hayha

simo hayha

I would've went with "jungle love " myself....

15. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

Edit:

withdrawn to save room for first world problem discussion

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Bc'z and DirtySteve like this.
  16. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Nice rifle, I am a big fan of the caliber .

Mike Conroy likes this.
  17. Centuriator

Centuriator

Not a fan of the racist and vulgar rifle name...

But a beautiful rifle!

garandman likes this.
  18. Bindi2

Bindi2

The Black Bitch is a dog which is not racist or vulgar.

19. Centuriator

Centuriator

yeah-right-3vj4jh.jpg

garandman likes this.
  20. olddav

olddav

I am going to ignore the PC patrol and ask about the chamber of the barrel. I have read that there are a couple of ver of the Serengeti reamer and was curious as to which one you used, and how close did it match the print?