22 Hornet fans

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by tidbit824, Dec 14, 2008.

1. 308sako

308sako

[​IMG]

1949 BRNO Hornet, Loves Win 46 HP's and AA1680 or LiL Gun with the 35gr V-Max's.

2. NRV

NRV

I also shoot a Savage 40, topped with a Sightron SII. Most accurate so far is 52 SMK over 9.9 gr Win 296. My plinking and squirrel load is 55 gr. Hornady FMJ with 4.6 gr Unique and Winchester small pistol primers. It minimizes meat damage and noise.

3. Fasteel

Fasteel

My Hornet is a CZ American, that I bought used. The previous owner had the barrel chopped down to 18 1/2 inches. She is a sweet handling little rifle. One of my rifle shooting buddies claimed that a barrel that short would not be very accurate. So we put up a target at 100 meters, loaded the mag with 5 rounds of factory 35gr and he shot them, then loaded it with 5 rounds of Win factory 46gr and shot the next target over. Guess what he was mistaken. excellent accuracy and same POI with the factory ammo. I'm still shooting the factory ammo because when I bought the rifle it came with 10 boxes of the Hornady 35gr. I did buy 3000 pistol primers and 7lbs of Lil gun so I'm ready when I run out of factory ammo.

Much as i love this gun, my varmint HS Precision in 204 ruger gets a lot more trips to the range. FS

4. crowriverjim

crowriverjim

how the heck do you 14.5gr. of lil gun in a hornet case..i use ww cases, and mine wont hold that much..

5. crowriverjim

crowriverjim

been using the hornet for 50years,love it and loading 40years..if i could only have one gun it would be the hornet,love my 220 swift,but its heavy..

6. JohnRodriguez

JohnRodriguez

get a dillion large pistol primer tube and camfer both ends of it. Then use it for a drop tube and drop the powder slowly. I use a redding BR power drop, and it is mounted about 16 inches above my bench.

7. sdbirddogs

sdbirddogs

I have a Cooper Jackson Varmint that is very accurate. Love the Hornet!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DanS

DanS

I've got an old Kimber of Oregon Cascade 22 hornet. Came with Kimber's deluxe split rings and all. Looks almost brand new. I've only shot it once and it shot easily under MOA. I bought it years ago, but I never shoot it. It's in the back of the gun safe. What a shame.

[​IMG]

9. crowriverjim

crowriverjim

DanS would you like to sell it...Jim

10. DanS

DanS

Sure, I'll sell it. I've been thinking of putting it on Gunbroker.

Dan

11. tnhunter

tnhunter

Love the hornet. got a cz 527 american that shoot great with lil gun. I like the fact you can get around 600 loads out of a pound of powder.

12. 1000yardstare

1000yardstare

Had a Savage 340 in .22 Hornet in the 1960s while in University. Bought my first press, RCBS JR, to load for it. Cheap reloading for a poor student.

Popped a truckload of chucks on family farms before graduating with 45 gr Hornady, 4227 and 2400, CIL brass and primers. Shot minute of angle. Lot of great memories. Sweet little cartridge.

Eventually had it rechambered to K-Hornet. Didn`t really notice any difference in terminal performance on critters.

13. bozo699

bozo699

I have had two m77/22 hornets,what neat looking little guns,thats as far as it goes neat looking as I have poured 100s of dallars int them @ several different smiths,I don't think it possible to make them shoot.They are a real neat,quiet cartridge,I just wish they were accurate ???
    Wayne.

14. 1000yardstare

1000yardstare

Bozo699, not the first complaint I have heard on the M77/22 Hornet.

15. LHSmith

LHSmith

PS magazine has an article in the Sept. issue on the Hornet. Seems there's a new double-base powder, Alliant Power Pro 300-MP, which gets 3300 + fps with a 40 gr. Berger HP in a CZ 527..... avg. group 3/8 " @100 yds.
    My only Hornet was a 340 Savage, kinda ugly, but it shot Winchester factories really well.

16. mshelton

mshelton Guest

Old Anschutz here, sent them a letter with the #s years ago and they replied telling me it was made in late '58.

Just started handloading for it and man is it picky, fun project though. Working with 40g Vmax and 110 powder, 9.2g is the best load I have found so far, now to start playing with seating depth.

Prior to that it was all factory ammo and many a dead groundhog.

17. moorepower

moorepower

Of all things, an H&R superlight! It will shoot 1" with a 2X7 hunting scope, 13.3 grains of Lil Gun, and small pistol primers with a 40 grain V-Max on top. Velocity you ask, who cares!

18. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

I also have a ruger 77/22hornet.Love it. Imr 4227 all the way. I also have a ruger#1 in .218 bee and a 1894 classic lever gun in the bee.My favorite load for that is 11.0 grains of 296 powder with a 45 grain hollow point.I shoot sub minute of angle with it.Best group to date was in the .2's! It is alittle more accurate than my hornet but you just goota love pipsqueak cartridge's that roar like a lion . It especially is nice to know you can get 700 case's filled with your favorite powder! Economy and power all in one!

19. coonhunter70

coonhunter70

I have a Winchester model 43 With a leupold 3-9 rimfire scope, it will do 3/4" groups at a 100 with mild pitting in the barrel(on a good day). I love this little gun it's nearly perfect for carrying through the woods.

20. Dimwit Flathead

Dimwit Flathead It's the Juggernaut, Bitch!

May as well add my $.02 worth. My22 Hornet is a Contender 10" bull barrel. I make my own 45 gr bullets and have no trouble killing chucks at 100 yds with it. It's just a ton of fun to shoot and everybody who tries it agrees. My other Hornet was an Encore straight bull barrel from the TC Custom Shop. It was a POS like every other TC Encore barrel I've had and I ended up having it re-chambered to 22BR. Now it shoots.

Measure all your powder charges carefully, no lube on the shoulder and neck when sizing, and care in bullet seating and the Hornet is a great little cartridge!