.22 barrel cleaning

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Benjerman08, Jan 7, 2010.

1. RichinKansas

RichinKansas

Frank Tirrell He did indian art and wrote shooting articles. When he left NM for Texas he had his place for sale. Couldn't get the wife to go for it. At the edge of the mountains with a shooting range, tunnel etc.

2. RichinKansas

RichinKansas

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56341
    Might want to read this thread first.

3. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Hey Rich inKansas,
    Thanks for the info! You are right, that name rang a bell, and that is the guy I sent a check to...guess he moved before it got there. Now am glad it did not get cashed. Anyhow, no big deal after I read the link. Methinks i will pass!

snert

4. dreever

dreever

I have an Anschutz 64MPR. The instructions from Anschutz says not to clean till 10,000 rounds! I never have, just run a bore snake through to get out anything big and that's it.
    I figure Anschutz knows better than I so I'll listen to them. Still shoots as tight today as when it was new too.
    Danny

5. pcmacd

pcmacd

I've a Marlin 60SS with a thousand or two+ rounds thru it, whose bore I have _never_ cleaned, since around 1991 or so. It is factory stock, except for the Marble's short "BULLSEYE" rear sight. Oh, and I did stone the bolt to slick up the action.

If I had to bug out with one rifle? I'd take this one and two bricks of subsonic ammunition; it is that good. And it is stainless with a laminate stock. Good to go in any weather, and light. Deadly at 100 yards or more. And, dudes?

---> I've got all manner of rifles.

I've cleaned the action a couple of times.

And the last time I shot it off the bags with a "BULLSEYE" newly mounted rear sight? I put 50 rounds into the size of a quarter at 50 feet (the length of that rimfire range.) The factory front sight and hood worked just great with that new rear.

If I ever get around to putting a hole in the back of the receiver for a cleaning rod, I might try to clean the barrel. Then again, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

6. 1911nut

1911nut

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  7. Rsadams

Rsadams

If you shoot it , clean it....22 are dirty to say the least... Lead is an animal that builds up fast.... A few years ago I started JB bore pasting my bores after the first firing and have had beond good results on factory barrels... This is only an opinion , so it cost nothing.... But in any factory barrels I will stick with it.... How and when to clean a barrel is up to you... It is pure opinion because every barrel and every gun is different even in centerfire....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020