1st class mail

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by 6fatrat, Mar 1, 2018.

1. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

A forum member in Texas sent me a MO, it took 7 days to reach me in northern Mi.
    Is any one else noticing longer delivery times?
    Steve Bair

2. Machinist John

Machinist John

Yea same here. I sent a check from Port Angeles, WA to Maine 1st Class and it took 9 days.

Next time I will send via Priority Mail, costs about $4.00 for a letter size envelope.

3. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Yes

muleystalker likes this.
  4. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Not really. I mailed a stock Priority mail to Dan Tucker, and he mailed his payment first class the same day. Each arrived at their destinations the same day(3days) from
    Ky to OH. LDS

5. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Ppfffft... I live in Rock Springs Wyoming. Used to be I could send a letter across town in a day.. Now it is sent to Salt Lake City [ 180 miles away] And then back... WTF??

muleystalker and 370bc like this.
  6. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Nope. I sent a first class small parcel to Austria from Florida last week. Took 6 days from my house to his delivery.

7. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I use 2 day priority boxes and envelopes. It's a joke, really. I sent one to Texas. It took ten days. Sent one to Oregon. It arrived the next day. One to Missouri took a week. Our government at work.

muleystalker and mikeinct like this.
  8. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

very efficient...

dmoran likes this.
  9. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

yeah, me too--when I mail to a town 10 to 15 miles away, it goes for a 3 day trip over 100 miles away and back again...

muleystalker and tac284 like this.
  10. Big Mc

Big Mc Gold $$ Contributor

The pony express could beat the USPS know.

11. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

YES and YES. Priority Mail package took 2+ weeks from Tulsa to Houston. Another same type package from Precision Reloading to Houston was over 2 weeks. And this was to my PO Box, not delivered to my house. Tracking is a joke, only works about half the time.

12. jwink

jwink

Delivery times for the post office vary more than the mood of a menopausal woman. One time, unbelievably quick. Next time, unbelievably slow.

snert likes this.
  13. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

why don't you just use UPS or Fedex

14. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Good thing we aren't paying Pony Express rates.

15. Machinist John

Machinist John

I do for packages.

16. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

Its more efficient that way LOL.

dmoran likes this.
  17. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

I was Merchant Marine for 35 years had all my checks sent Fed Ex,,u.s.mail was squat service on this count..

18. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Aw, quit your bellyaching. I sent a small parcel to South Africa. Cost me $73 & change. Made it to Johannesburg, about 9000 miles, in three days and then took two months to go another 800 miles to the recipient. :(

mikeinct and 370bc like this.
  19. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

The Post Office is right next to my bank and the grocery store, 5 minutes from my house. I buy a Money order , drop it in the mail and spin the wheel of chance. What the heck, I'm retired and not in a hurry.;) It sounds like Hogpatrol endured a new record! Hey Dale: I hope it wasn't the ammo for your hunt!:rolleyes:

20. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

The term, first class mail, is simply a category used by the post office to delineate a certain category of mail, nothing more nothing less. It does not prioritize the shipment or ensure the delivery time. Items sent ground class often times arrive sooner than first class, it all depends on the quantity of mail they have and the available employees on hand. In all practicable means first class mail should be prioritized and have a system in place that would ensure faster delivery. Unfortunately, the postal system is so screwed up in terms of a business model or application that even top management has lost control of the operational aspects of the company.

Postal employees are like drones, they simply go through standardized procedures take lunch at a preordained time and go home every night at the same time regardless of the volume of mail or the length of time its been sitting in the facility.

Government businesses don't worry about supply or demand or customer service or quality controls. They simply fill a void, a void that could be improved financially and in overall service by any private entity given the opportunity to compete.