. 17 call barrel

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by bobcat93, Oct 27, 2018.

1. bobcat93

bobcat93 Silver $$ Contributor

So. Who presently makes the most consistent 17 call barrels.
    There can't be that Any manufacturers producing barrel steel so I would think the steel shouldn't be part of the equation.
    What makes a great barrel . A Great rifle barrel.
    What makes the biggest difference
    1) who cuts the rifling
    2) who chambers and installes the barrel
    3) barrel break in and reloading work
    Yes your not allowed to say its all 3 .
    You must pick one.
    Any way I can't get enough of the 17 Cal
    . 17 fire ball is my favorite of the 17's

Another question..
    Does any one think caliber and barrel manufacturer go hand and hand or does it not matter due to CNC machines
    What I mean is
    Does any barrel manufacturers come to mind as.. Oh so and so make the best 17 barrels around .I'm going to order from them.
    I ordered a 17 fire ball barrel from Pac-nor. My thinking says . I've got a great 224 barrel from them that just shoots fantastic. So I went to them for a savage replacement barrel in 17 rem fire ball
    I have a 17 rem CZ 527 Its covered with dust. I just have more fun with 17 fire ball. There fun to size and reload With there little dash of powder., and tiny lite groups..
    .. So who makes the best 17 barrel and why.
    Thanks

2. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Lilja and Shilen make great 17 barrels.

Reamers design will make or brake a good shooting 17, and neck turning adds consistency. Freebore to match the bullets you will be shooting will be the icing on the cake.

fredo, WyleWD and bobcat93 like this.
  3. B23

B23

I've been told by multiple top notch gunsmiths Lilja makes one of the best .17 cal centerfire barrels. If I ever rebarrel one of my 17 Hornets, a new Lilja barrel is what I'd use.

4. steve123

steve123

The one I'm selling of course, lol.

Shilen 9 twist 28" heavy varmint blank.

5. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

If cut rifled barrels are a necessity, your limited options will be even more limited.

My answer to the “what’s most important” question: barrel quality. The best of everything else won’t save a lousy barrel.

bobcat93 likes this.
  6. bobcat93

bobcat93 Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the comments guys.. I will try a lilja next I just had such a nice experience with pac-nor barrels I decided I would try them again.. I know what to expect from krieger, Hart was good to deal with also . Very talkative . I like that when I buy stuff..
    I have herd the same thing and was on the fence about lilja or pac-nor.. For my 17 barrel.. So we will see

7. johnmyers

johnmyers Gold $$ Contributor

Same here I have had 2 Lilja 17 Mach IV barrels and couldn’t ask for a better barrel