1000yd Shooters

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by WIB3, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

He is just busting my balls, I think most like the idea of a solid aiming point.. Why not?

Ray

WIB3 likes this.
  2. WIB3

WIB3

The current 1000yd target was designed over 30 years ago. Today weather IBS, Williamsport or other sanctioning bodies, the quality of the components has greatly improved. All aspects of the game have improved. Aggs, and groups are getting smaller by the year, but we are still shooting at a 4” patch. Granted on a hot summer day when mirage is running rampant it won’t help anyone one bit. Everyone will still be chasing the dancing ball. But those days determine truly exceptional shooters.

3. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

just not orange the go fuzzy in my vision, often not visable at all.
    black, or better yet BLUE
    I have no issue with the target as it is,.

4. WIB3

WIB3

The color of the sticker could be whatever you want. Craft shops offer numerous colors. If you don’t like it you could opt to not use one. No one would be affected if they were uncomfortable. Would be a shooter choice.

5. WIB3

WIB3

At Williamsport if you want a black spotter for you siter target it is available, if you prefer a 4” orange spotter it is available. If you want a 2” it is also available. All one has to do is notify the range master.

6. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Walt I was serious about the black dot with the white X! But that would be when we ordered new targets, but in the meantime we can probably set it up like what you had on your target or with a black dot. But Ray knows I love busting his a$$! Not like he would do it to me. Well figure thing out, lots of great minds on here.

Joe Salt

7. WIB3

WIB3

I know Joe, I’m very appreciate your open minded thoughts. Just trying to think out side of the box and try to move the sport forward. I think IBS, GBA and Williamsport would all benefit. After all we are all trying to accomplish the same thing. We will have our disagreements about cartridges, bullets, barrels, gunsmiths, scopes and reloading techniques, but we all have the same passion.

Jesswil61 likes this.
  8. Mike 243

Mike 243

My question what if there is a 100 score shot and it may be a club record. Could you tell if shots in the orange dot broke the X-ring. You may have more X-rings that the current club record.

9. WIB3

WIB3

When I left the sport in 2004 to raise my family everyone helped one another. If a participant was having trouble getting things on track everyone would help. Returning back in 2016 the table was completely different. The guns were different and the cartridges were different. At the advice of my gunsmith I chose the 6Dasher. Keep in mind I knew nothing about this round. I was a .300WBY guy shooting 240gr Sierras when stopping. I watched YouTube vids of the boys in Montana. Tom and the gang helped me out tremendously. They were honest and gave good information. I think by adding a smaller aim point it would also benefit everyone.

10. WIB3

WIB3

Pealing the sticker off would give you an accurate measurement. If that would ever happen.

11. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

We don't count x's for a record. It goes by group with score. Matt

12. johara1

johara1

Just wondering if you change the target, you retire the old records? and start again? If it isn't broke why fix it?....... jim

DHuffman and Mulligan like this.
  13. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Jim it will be the same target, the rings or size is not changing. We want to give the target a little better aiming spot for us old guys.

Joe Salt

14. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

yes I remember that in the late 80's the bull was 13 in black with the white square taped in

15. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

It would need to be part of the target or you run into trouble with sticker placement and folks about their targets sticker placement. You know you would

Ray

Jesswil61 likes this.
  16. 6MMsteve

it was not as complicated back in the day you know

17. Mike 243

Mike 243

Matt,
    I was wondering about that because club records have score, group size and the number of X-rings

18. WIB3

WIB3

Not complicated at all. If you don’t like it don’t use it. It is not the intention to force on any shooter.

19. 6MMsteve

Blah blah blah

20. johara1

johara1

Joe when the mirage is running I can't hardly see the 4" white box. If you want to aim finer get a bigger dot...... jim