WANTED Youth deer rifle

Discussion in 'Guns, Actions, Stocks, & Barrels' started by Barretn, Dec 14, 2019.

Trader History (138)
  1. Barretn

Barretn Gold $$ Contributor

Looking for a economic youth rifle for one of my kids that decided he is ready to hunt next year. Prefer a wood stock so it can be made to fit.

Also open to suggestions from those that have already been down this path. Single shot or bolt, caliber etc...

Open to a 700 SA action or shot out barrel action or single shot rifles etc..

Trying to get something together so he can have time to get use to shooting before next year.

2. mikeinct

mikeinct Silver $$ Contributor

what does dad use ? What & where are you hunting out in Oklahoma ? Mike in ct

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  3. Geno C

Geno C

Also, what kind of distance will you be shooting at?

mikeinct likes this.
  4. Barretn

I use a 700 action.

5. Barretn

Between 50-100yds. As he gets older he can move to locations with 400-600yrd shots.

6. mikeinct

mikeinct Silver $$ Contributor

Well as long as you reload & you keep the distance Reasonable. I see no reason not to get the newbie what dad uses. Find an old wood stocked "beater" like yours. Cut & save the removed portion of the butt stock. Or get a Tupperware youth size stock cheap. Find a good reduced load for the youth gun. If you are using a 243 win or similar. Those can be slightly downloaded to good effect. Or add a Muzzle brake. Maybe both options. Mike

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  7. oldman1951

oldman1951

Get him a AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. Short stock, longer stock, light recoil, and a deadly round!

Geno C likes this.
  8. SHall

SHall Gold $$ Contributor

I started my 1st son out with a used Stainless T/C Encore .I already had two or three of the actions I used for a ML, pistol, and rifle. There are several custom match barrel makers with any twist barrel and caliber. T/C makes a wood Youth stock you can find cheap new or find used like on Ebay and switch out later to adult! Thats what I did. MGM makes custom barrels for them now. Virgin Valley Custom Guns and Bullberry use to make match grade barrels and stocks. Anyway, I found a Bullberry barrel in 22-250, 10 twist barrel that was 20 inches. Perfect in a blind or stand. Unlike my 2nd son. My first son likes to hunt but did not like to take the time to practice working a bolt action and safety and learn a rifle real well. I just could not get him interested in the “rifleman” aspect of it. But with the Encore, even though I stayed by his side, We both could see if the hammer was pulled back ready to fire! We would go through the sequence. Find the deer in the scope then I would pull the hammer back. The guide (you) can see the hammer from both sides of the rifle at all times. I just like a single shot for learners. I about got shot when I was 18 when I went to help my older friend drag a buck to the truck. He had a bolt action Rem 700 in 270. He Shot a deer with one shot. Bolted another round. I figured afterwards he was so excited he never took the safety off. When I walked up to him about 30 min later to help him. He took the rifle off his shoulder to lay it down, as he did he hit the trigger, luckily it was leaning away from both of us when it went off and the round went in the air between us. There are no take backs with rifle safety! Samuel Hall

mikeinct likes this.
  9. MOTORSPORTS55

MOTORSPORTS55 Silver $$ Contributor

i have a rem model 7 in a 243 wood stock older model i would sell.

mikeinct likes this.
  10. OKBoomer

OKBoomer Spencer Aycock Silver $$ Contributor

I’m just north of Tulsa and have an FN Mauser action, repeater, with bottom metal and Timney trigger. It has a high-mileage heavy 25” Douglas barrel in 308Win. It shoots fine, but will throw one out of the group occasionally, so it’s no longer good for FTR. I also have a short pull wood stock I cut for one of my kids. It’s inlet for a large ring Mauser, but not an FN. Let me know if you’re interested.

11. H2OBUG

H2OBUG Silver $$ Contributor

12. Timgunner

Timgunner Silver $$ Contributor

Have you considered an AR15 build? The parts are getting cheaper all the time, a 6.5 Grendel would be perfect as a starter rifle. I picked up a complete 6.5grendel upper from BCA for less than $300 a couple months ago and it shoots great with cheap Hornady black 123gr amax ammo.

13. pmsmith02

pmsmith02 Silver $$ Contributor

I've got a ruger american 243 350$ shipped and insured OBO

14. Marfaprecision

Marfaprecision

There are many good value youth guns to be had now days. Choose a low recoiling round like .243 then choose between many great budget guns like the ruger American compact, savage model 11 youth, the mossberg patriot bantam, Remington 700 adl youth even the Thompson center compass. And if you like the thought of a single shot there are some cheap options like the CVA hunter compact.
    And another great idea already mentioned was doing a budget AR-15 build in 6.5 Grendel a perfect low recoiling small game round.
    And just about any of these options could be had for less than $500 and some far less.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  15. SEGARE

SEGARE Silver $$ Contributor

Good suggestion. I bought one off another board for $400 with 3x9 Leupold for the wife and nieces/nephews to use. With the stock free-floated it's a MOA gun. Mine needed a little bit of the stock removed off the left front (very common issue and almost always on the L front). It was a 10 minute job, start to finish.

pmsmith02 likes this.
  16. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

If it were me, I would look for a Rem 700 or 7 in 308. Get him a nice gun, then take the stock off of it and replace it with a "beater" stock that can be altered to fit him. Once he grows up a bit, put the nice stock back on and he will have a nice gun for a long time. When my nephew was 10-12 years old and starting out, this is the advice I gave my brother. My nephew ended up with a nice rem 700 in 308 that he still uses today. At the time I loaded him up some 125 grain Nosler ballistic tips that were not at max. Recoil was really mild and that bullet is devastating on deer. Every deer he shot was within 125 yards and he was able to watch the deer go down. They didn't go anywhere and a couple that I witnessed never took a step.
    Good luck.

17. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

I bought a Tikka t3 for my son. You version that comes with a spacer to use as they grow. His is a 6.5 creedmoor. I load 129 long range accubonds because they will open up down to 1300fps impact velocity. H4895 with minimum load and it’s very mild recoil and really does wonders on deer. I had a youth gun in 7-08 but it took more powder to get less velocity with bullets that wouldn’t expand below 2000fps. Much more recoil to a kid as well. We have the occasional encounter with bears so I needed something much more than a .243.