XP-100 Action

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by rkittine, Jul 9, 2015.

1. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Remington XP-100 in .221 Fireball. Hardly ever use it. How would that be for the basis of a simple rifle build in the same caliber?

Bob

2. bheadboy

bheadboy

the action I excellent, the trigger/guard will need to be replaced as well as the stock, 221 preforms well in a 20-22 inch bbl.

I had one redone into a lv br rifle by the Hart's changed to 222 and it shoot very competitively.

Bob

3. Hippy

Hippy

Fuel for Thought--If the XP is TRULY nice sell it to someone who wants to preserve it. Several reasons :

Stocks for the XP action usually have to be modified from the Model Seven if U chose to bolt the action rather than Glue it in it can get expensive

The action will need trued

The Dog Leg bolt handle is best replaced

A nice XP will bring the price of a New Remington Clone action

Good Luck

Jim

4. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

I have an XP in .221 Fireball that I converted to a rifle. Hands down it's my FAVORITE. 8) 8) You might have problems finding a rifle stock but it's worth the effort to build one.

5. Mega

Mega

I have an XP-100 Benchrest Rifle, chambered as 6mmPPC recently aquired but used by a friend, now deceased to win the majority of his Hall Of Fame points. Needs some TLC to bring it back to it's old form and looks but it's super accurate. Yes, it's been trued etc. Glued in Action.

6. bheadboy

bheadboy

the Rem 600 rifle is the same action with trigger - bottom,

if you convert a 600 stock will do just fine, the #7 takes work

bob

7. rkittine

Trigger was my next question as it has the funky displaced trigger. The one I have is all original and in excellent shape. Unmodified Nylon Stock, great Bluing and excellent barrel and rib. I have bases and 1" rings.

What you say makes sense as far as just selling it and getting a clone 700 Action. The XP-100 in excellent shape, seems to bring around $700.00.

Bob

8. bheadboy

bheadboy

depending on what you want it for, the $700 you can get a 700 complete rifle, in small bolt face, keep the stock, trigger, and do what you want the bbl, 221 only need 22 inch to get the most out of it with the faster powders and lighter bullets normally used, 50gr or less.

Bob

9. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Silver $$ Contributor

rkittine, FYI, See attached info. ref. 1979 safety recall on some XP-100s.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-modification-program/remington-model-xp-100.aspx

10. Richard Jones

Richard Jones just glad to be here

I wish I still had mine..... :'(

11. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

A 5 minute mod to the safety lever and it'll never have to leave your hands. Sure beats shipping it off and NEVER knowing when you'll get it back. ;)

12. rkittine

I will have to Google what to do. I did look at the link on Remington. If the gun was with me I could check for the lock and the date, which I will do first, before trying to do anything. Thank you for pointing this out.

Bob

13. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I think you might get more than $700 for a nice XP. The amount you will spend getting it trued up will bring you right up to what a custom action costs. As nice as an XP can be it will never be as nice a custom. It's a no brainer to me.

14. rkittine

Happy to send pictures to anyone that is interested in it.

Bob