WTB - Metal shaper.

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by 30EX, Dec 9, 2013.

1. 30EX

30EX Site $$ Contributor

Anybody have one of these old beasts in there shop and not using it, 7" is about right more or less in size.

Local Good guy machinist is in need of one.

The X-Man

2. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Site $$ Contributor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-7-Heavy-Duty-Metal-Shaper-7B-W-original-Vise-/331069120254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1541defe

I found this on my very own Google Machine!

3. rocketron

rocketron Site $$ Contributor

my brother has one of these. i think it's about the size your looking for. i'm sure he would sell it.

PM me if your interested.

Ron

4. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Eddie,
    That is a toy that somebody spruced up. Had one, but sold it to a buddy. He bought a much larger one.

5. BobLor

BobLor

I agree the 7 inch is for light work, I would say model engineering type work. I have owned a couple that small, Atlas and South Bend. South Bend was the better of the two. I think Sheldon made one about 7" too. Look for a 12" shaper if want to do a bit heavier cuts, although I bet most shapers have been sent to the scrap yards years ago. Put a wanted advert. in the Home Shop Machinist magazine, that maybe the quickest way of finding a shaper.
    B.L.

6. medic727

medic727

practicalmachinist.com is the place to go. Lot's of Old School machinists there that know the value of non-whiz bang machine tools.

7. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Go to my Buddy's home website. You will see a photo of a gear he made for his 10EE Monarch. Brad turned the blank in the lathe. He cut the key way and the gears with his Steptoe shaper. Brad is not a machinist, but does pretty nice work.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resu73yk/bradsworld/id7.html