Wow! I suck...

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Peebles24, Nov 8, 2018 at 12:08 PM.

1. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

So i shot our local clubs outdoir fclass postal league today. 2x 50 yard/ dewar 1x50 1x100/ 2x100.

Prior to this match i thought i had found a ammo this rifle really liked. Was shooting bughole groups at 25 yard indoor. After ammo testing i bedded the stock and may have the action screws to tight.

Shooting the match today with very little but occasional wind i shot a 1018 agg.

I did clean real good before shooting a dozen sighters but did not clean again till i was done so about 135 rounds down the tube.

If pics show in right order they will be 2x50, dewar, 2x100

Attached Files:

2. Peebles24

Last target and rifle

Attached Files:

3. Peebles24

Please feel free to give me ideas to help tighten these groups up and how to do it. I dont think it is my shooting cause in fclass 1k i shoot 560s. I feel i should at least be on par with that.

4. LESLEY

LESLEY

I know your going to call me an ASSHOLE. Your problem is the gun and scope

hunter2678 likes this.
  5. Peebles24

Asshole :D just kidding. I know they are both cheap units and not truly competition grade. Although that is the scope i used this season on my savage 12 i shot fopen with. It actually tracks really well and holds zero. Granted that was on a cf not rimfire.

6. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

What IS the rifle and scope? Any rifle modifications besides stock bedding? Why did you choose to bed the stock after ammo testing vs before? And why did you choose to do your ammo testing at 25 yards?

7. Peebles24

Cause im a dumb ass lol. Only 25 cause indoor range had the 50 closed. Rifle is a savage markii BTV scope is athlon argos BTR 8-34×56. Bedded after ammo testing because it was driving me insane how bad it needed bedded. Only mod is bedding and bag riders i made.

8. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

My suggestion is to go to an ARA match and hang out. Most shoots are on Saturday mornings. Be prepared to spend similar $ on building a competitive RF rifle as it cost to build a competitive CF benchrest rifle. Check out www.rimfireaccuracy.com
    Ben

9. Peebles24

Im only doing this postal league to keep up my trigger time and try to improve, but i dont want to suck. Lol

10. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

Also out check out:
    www.killoughshootingsports.com

11. Rsadams

Rsadams

In that case you need an outdoor range , this would help alot , Especially for wind reading... The second is serious ammo testing outdoors... Always in my opinion at 50-100 yards.... 25 is to close with a scoped rifle to practice and shows you nothing...Start with cci-standered velocity, if that doesn't work then move on to the more expensive brands... There's tons of threads with what the competition guys use... Once you find what ammo your rifle likes start shooting as much as possible , there's nothing better than trigger time....

12. Peebles24

Yes per the rules i am doing my match outdoors. I just did ammo testing indoor, which it appears i need to redo after bedding the stock. I really didnt think bedding the stock would change which ammo it liked. And figured the only ammo it would shoot bugholes at 25 with would be the same ammo it liked outdoor at 50 and 100. I am a noob in both f open and smallbore competition.

13. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

While you are bedding, put about 2" under the barrel just ahead of the receiver.

Boyd L. likes this.
  14. steve123

steve123

What ammo are you using?

Ammo makes a big difference in a 22.

When you get up into the $10 a box of 50 rounds and find the type of ammo your gun shoots best with, you'll be happier.

Barring wind -

Most 22's will shoot inside 1/2" at 25Y.
    At 50Y a decently accurate 22 with mid range match ammo will do 1/2".
    1" at 100Y, that's a good shooting 22.
    1/2" at 100Y, that's about as good as it gets.

Just to give you a comparison. I've got one expensive 22 with a nice scope on it, use $15 a box ammo that shoots well in the rifle, and I've never shot a sub 1/2" group at 100Y. The best so far was close to that but normal is about .9" average. Though my rifle is not a benchrest rifle and I shoot off a Harris bipod. At 50Y I was able to stay about .3" average.

15. Peebles24

The ammo it liked was norma match. I tried 11 different ammos, a couple eley, lapua, wolf, federal, sk, aguilla, ect...

16. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

When you are able to do ammo testing at 50 and 100 yards, be advised that just because an ammo shoots well or great at 50 yards does NOT mean that it will also shoot well at 100 yards. I do generally find that the best 100 yard ammo is among the 4 best at 50 yards (but not always), but it is not always the one that was best at 50. 50 yard performance is a good indicator, but no guarantee. Just another thing to remember and check.

seymour fish likes this.
  17. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

If you have the opportunity to test ammo at 100 yds, it will be the best single test you can do. You may find out that at some ammo quality level, the rifle you have will not shoot better irregardless of buying even higher quality ammo. In other words, your rifle may be the limiting factor. Your bedding could be a culprit also. You mentioned that perhaps the action screws were too tight. If you did this in the bedding process, it's a problem. While bedding, the action should be stress free. Tightening the screws down puts the action in the same place as it was before being bedded. Bedding is meant to fill up the voids between the stock and an unstressed action, so that the stock is a perfect fit to the action. If it's only that you tightened your action screws very tight AFTER bedding, try a much lower torque. Rimfires bedded in wood seem to like no more than 15-20 inch lb.

seymour fish likes this.
  18. kzin

kzin

My anschutz 54 with BR stock shot the exact same course in 1187

I don't think the savage will ever get there but should get well over 90%.

Your bag rider is cool(seriously) but your rig is awfully high and potentially unstable. Is your centerfire rig so high?

Some local guys shooting BR with CZs have cut the toe off the stock making a flat spot that is several inches lower than the flat spot with a rider.

Also, what is the state of your savage trigger? Stock? Those are excellent triggers relative to sporter 22s but not so much relative to f-open competition.

Peebles24 likes this.
  19. steve123

steve123

Then I hate to say this... Might be time to upgrade the rifle. I'd try a few more things, those mentioned already, and after that, move on.

Sometimes it's a "is what it is" situation.

There's a few fixed up CZ's around because people want to buy a V22 with the money from the sale of the CZ.

20. kzin

kzin

I looked at the targets and wow, they look a lot worse than the score sounded.

That's not poor results with that rifle and rig, that's a total f***up somewhere.

Bedding was a disaster, ammo lot was trash, scope mounts loosened, ...

Problem with the savage should be too many nines rather than tens, not that mess.

I would be more tactful but you called it yourself and I'm sure you'll fix it somehow. :)

Peebles24 likes this.