Would there be any gain to morphing a 243 AI and a 6SLR

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Shawnba67, Nov 27, 2017.

1. gunmutt

gunmutt

I disagree. Not all fire forming is easy. Some requires a false shoulder or sizing prior to loading. But some are as easy as throwing a factory loaded .243 and pulling the trigger.
    The 6SLR is a nice design. The only down side is the use of premium brass could require neck turning due to thickness in the shoulder area

2. Rem6br

Rem6br

Very informative thread here! I’m waiting on my 6SLR from Dave Tooley
    and plan to try using the Lapua Brass by either turning the neck before sizing or sizing first then run an expander in and push the donut to the outside then turn the neck. This will be my first attempt at neck turning brass so I’m sure I’m gonna need some help. Plan to run the 105 hunting vld in a 7.5 twist bartlien at 24”.

3. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

Size them,expand them, cut out that donut and go into the shoulder then I run the expander down again to make sure there is no donut left (if there is it wil move into the space you creted when cutting in to the shoulder) and then cut my neck to spec. Between each step I aneal my brass.

What your left with if done correctly is very very good brass that wil last you a long time.

Shot some ammo I had left from a match this week. Just about 900y, 17/22mph winds and a flaming119F. Horoble mirage but this rifle is such a pleasure to shoot,just dial up and shoot.

The avg type groups I shot, best 3 shot I had when the mirage died down measured about inch by half inch vertical.

105gr HVLD @ 3157, ES over 5 shots rarely go over 4fps.

Attached Files:

4. Rem6br

Rem6br

Thanks for the info

Shawnba67 likes this.
  5. tonysnoo

tonysnoo Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Nomad, good to see you on here again.

I thought you were working a lot with 7828. I went to it and have been very happy for the last few years. I briefly tried RL26 and got crazy speeds, but haven't really come back to do it any justice with accuracy loads. I found my new bottle of 7828 is a bit slower than the old bottle.

6. Nomad47

Nomad47

Greetings, Tony.

Yes, I was running IMR7828ssc in both 6SLR and 6XC. BUt after reading about the long barrel life experienced in the 6CM, I decided to switch to H1000 in the 6SLR. I lost a little velocity making the switch, but I think the gain in barrel life more than compensates for it.