Would like to pm a Sightron lll 10-50x60 MOA-2 owner. Questions

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by NDAR15MAN, Jun 11, 2018.

1. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

I would like to ask a few questions to a Long distance shooter WHO owns a Sightron lll 10-50x60 MOA-2 scope.
    Please pm me when you have some time. Want to try to understand and the reticle at 24 and 48 power and couple other quick questions. Did not want to bore the regular readers on the forum. Thanks. Marty

2. Randall Hardy

Randall Hardy

Hi Marty, I will try to help if i can. I have one on my pd rifle.

3. mr.big

mr.big

the hash marks should be 2 moa at 24x and 1 moa at 48x

4. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

i dont have my scope in front of me it is in for repair. i have my scope IN BURRIS signature rings that HAVE THE 20 MOA INSERTS. QUESTION....IF I ZERO my rifle at 100 yards each one of the hash marks still represents 2 moa on 24x and 1 moa on 48x power ? so really what these set of rings plus scope plus the reticle give me 20 moa for the rings , the scope per the box has 50 moa and then 20 more moa for the reticle ( if scope is set on 24 x power AND EACH HASH MARK REPERSENTS 2 MOA BECAUSE THERE IS 10 HASH MARKS TOTAL ON RETICLE ). that is a total of 90 MOA..... IS THAT CORRECT AND THE WAY TO LOOK AT TOTAL MOA THIS SCOPE HAS ? OR would it be that scope has only 50 moa on scope and 2o moa on the burris mounts which would give me a total of only 45 moa up travel for long range shooting. my question really is how much up travel can i get with my set up using this scope , these rings and this reticle... ha ha ha... what a question....ha ha ha.. marty

5. mr.big

mr.big

if everything is in spec on the rifle and mounts and the scope zeros in the center at 100 yards you will only have half of the 50 moa of elevation available on the knobs,,and then if you have the rings spaced exactly where they give 20 moa cant you will have 45 moa adjustments on the knob and 20 on the reticle at 24x,,if you could back down to 12x the hash marks are 4 moa apart and you would have 40 moa on the reticle,,

6. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

The 20 MOA rings won't give you 20 MOA adjustment it takes scope and tips it to the muzzle. So IF your scope zeroed at 100 yards in the center of your scope adjustment (it doesn't always do that) then yes would would get 45moa of up travel.

You may have to play with your inserts if you put 20MOA in and you can't get your scope down enough to zero at 100 then you may have to put 10MOA in. Also your distance between the rings also changes what the MOA is, closer together more MOA farther apart less MOA. 3.6" should get you what the inserts are marked

Read this it might help
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...e-rings-calculating-actual-elevation-changes/

7. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

THANKS VERY MUCH TO A TOUGH QUESION FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND. MARTY

8. mr.big

mr.big

how far are you trying to shoot and what load are you using??

9. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

I have a 6.5 creedmoor in a AR10 shaw rifle. 24 inch barrel with a big old muzzle
    Break. Just shooting federal American Eagle 140 otm. Cannot remember what box says is fps On this ammo. It shoots this ammo 3/4 to 7/8 inch groups at 100 yards. All other factory ammo not as good. Have not got into reloading yet. I also have a sightron 10-50x60 LR dot on cross hairs on a creedmoor Ruger m77 with 28 inch barrel. I have about 600 reloads my Freind and I made up because he had all components left over when he sold his creedmoor. But I have these reloads slowed down to about 2500 FPS. He worked up a load for accuracy and they shoot 1/2 inch groups but I think I am giving up 400 yards with them on the m77. I need to get something going that will shoot good in both guns at 2800 fps. Marty

10. mr.big

mr.big

if you get the scopes set up with the Burris rings and inserts with the .010 inserts front and back and the scope will still zero at 100 yards you should be able to get out close to 1200 yards,,if they wont come down to zero at 100 yards and you have to put one of the .000 inserts in one of the rings to get a zero at 100 yards you should still have plenty of adjustments to get to 1,000 and maybe 1,100 yards,,without any holdovers,

11. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

Ok. I was hoping to get to 1500 yards. With the lower moa hash marks. Even. Thou I would be luck to hit anything would be fun to try. I think I can do that with the bottom hash marks or hold over I hope. Marty

12. mr.big

mr.big

if you hold on the bottom hash and keep lowering the magnification it will finally zoom out wide enough to be able to reach 1500,,I am gonna guess and say if you max the scope out and hold the bottom hash mark you will wind up at about 20x to reach 1500 yards,,

if you have someone that can help you spot you should be able to get there.

13. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

Mr big. Thanks for help. Marty

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018