Worst 1911 of all time

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by South Prairie jim, May 27, 2018.

1. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim Silver $$ Contributor

gents
    We have seen the best now what is the worst pos you've seen or shot?
    Lama has to be up there
    J

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Llama, charles daly

dickn52 likes this.
  3. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Llama.

4. Rsadams

Rsadams

I know this might raise some eyebrows , but I have a old Springfield Armory ( 1972 I think ) that's been nothing but problems since day one... It's been to several Smith's and that and going to Wilson combat mags finally made it run after 30 years... I have been trying to get it sent back and refinished for over 25 years.... Called again 6 months ago , no answer , left call back number and still no call back like normal... Some nice lady that works for them gave me a name to ask for on Facebook , said she worked for them but I haven't called due to running into a bunch of expenses last month , plus she said the don't do blueing anymore... Because of this I went to Glock and have never looked back and probably would never buy another Springfield... I figured 20+ years is long enough...

5. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

I have a couple of Llama Extras in 38 Super that were made in 1935, both are as smooth as silk.

Worst 1911 copy I've seen is a NORINCO.

6. nbkky71

nbkky71

I had an old Auto Ordnance 1911 back in the 1990's that never ran worth a hoot. I gave up and traded it to a buddy when the front sight fell off.

7. South Prairie jim

What about the AMT hardballer
    Any votes on that one ?
    J

8. South Prairie jim

Sorry to hear that' Springfield Arms was always good, sold about then if memory serves.
    Did a Brazil based company buy them?
    A big company with a forge like SW I believe? Anyway might of been a transition gun.
    J

boltfluter and Rsadams like this.
  9. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

I bought a Llama 1911 45ACP in the early 80s because that's all I could afford. Operated and shot great. Doubt that was the norm but it was a great range gun.

I'll get flamed for this but I've owned two Kimber 1911s and they both had to go back to the factory for repairs prior to reaching 1000rds fired through them. Know other shooters with similar issues with Kimbers. Good looking pistols, nice triggers and lots of money dumped in advertising.

10. 500Stroker

500Stroker Silver $$ Contributor

Same thing my wife had a Kimber 1911 that would jam regardless of who shot it, repaired twice, now down the road and gone.

nicholst55, mr45man and Jet like this.
  11. South Prairie jim

I agree wholeheartedly Kimber has there good points however no matter which expensive model you choose there pretty much the same inside MIM.
    I gutted mine and replaced the ignition with Colt Delta Elite parts
    J

12. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

Same here, bought 2 one for wife, both went back,,mine went back twice.Custom shop my a$$

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  13. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

Kimber 1911's purchased for state alcohol control agents:

"ALE Director John Ledford said the Kimber pistols repeatedly suffered such problems as rounds jamming during training exercises, broken sights and the weapon's safety sometimes falling off."

14. South Prairie jim

IMG_0299.JPG A cure for the Kimber feeding problems is Wilson 47 D magazine
    They have a polymer/ Nylon follower and heavy duty spring that is replaceable.
    Keep them clean and dry works best'
    J

15. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I never liked the Kimbers because a friend bought one and had nothing but trouble. Parts breaking, FTFeed, etc. It went back 3 or 4 times. Took a year to get it fixed.:mad:
    Thanks for the info, Prairie Jim, but I think a gun ought to shoot without having to buy special parts

16. South Prairie jim

Glock

17. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Funny you should say that! He bought the Kimber on his move towards customs and higher end guns. He got so disgusted with the Kimber, he went to Glock and shoots them. Exclusively! He talked me into buying a 41 and I like it!

South Prairie jim likes this.
  18. South Prairie jim

Another thing that I'm not fond of with most 1911 manufacturers is the use of 24 pound mainsprings I always change them out to a lighter Wolff 18 pound
    J

19. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

Had an early one, first 1911's made in stainless steel. GREAT GUN!!! Sold it when I was hard up for cash. A decision I always regretted. Functioned so well, I could chamber once fired empty cases from the magazine. Something never heard of back then.

20. Hasbeen1945

Hasbeen1945

I picked up a used Llama several years ago. A friend of mine who was a gun dealer sold it to me cheap. We carried it out and it worked perfectly. I shoot it fairly regularly to make sure it works.
    It has a job to do. It rides every day in my car in case of emergency. I’m sure my Baer or Colts would be better. But I would cry big tears if those were lost.