Wolves

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by bluealtered, Feb 13, 2018.

1. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

I had a chance yesterday to read a good write up in a magazine called Range, the current issue has a report on the results of Bruce Babbitt's bringing wolves to the west once again. No these aren't the smaller timber wolves that were at one time in the west, these are Canadian wolves which are much larger. The article goes into detail on what has happened since then using facts and figures gathered from the government agencies in charge of these programs.

I happen to live in one of areas in North East Oregon that has been hit hard by this. We were known for our world class elk and deer at one time, not anymore. Using Oregon Dept. of fish and wild life figures show that our elk, deer, and other game animals are down anywhere from 30 to 50% in some units. These figures are from 3-5 years ago so you can guess what they must be now. I have hunted and hiked and worked in these mountains for 40 years and and was able to see wolves five years before the ODFW was forced to admit that they were here.

This is just my personal observations and doesn't include any of the livestock lost to our ranchers and people who simply choose to live in the country. The two latest kills are two lamas that were pinned up next to the house that were sport kills by wolves, yes they kill for sport as well.

You might want to read that article when you get a chance, the magazine is Range and the article is Wolves, the war on the west. It is in the current issue and probably not on line yet.

luckeeshot, dmoran and MTSLW like this.
  2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

And I live in Southeastern Oregon, where we have now received the overflow from the wolf packs in NE Oregon. They are reproducing very fast, and we are showing livestock predation. I think there is now kill orders on a couple of them.

This has to be one of the stupidest wildlife management decisions in history, and I fear that we'll never be able to unbreak this egg. jd

luckeeshot, BIG D, gambleone and 3 others like this.
  3. North Fork

North Fork

The wolves have killed of all the moose by me

rudysts and 370bc like this.
  4. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Wait till the wolves kill all the game. What will they eat then? By the time they figure out it is a big problem, it is too late. Livestock and people will be on the list soon. What will they say then? Matt

gambleone and 370bc like this.
  5. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

My state’s game and fish department decided it would be a nice idea to re-introduce river otters to a few streams. First couple years they were highly protected with massive fines for killing one. The otters reproduced like rabbits. Soon they were everywhere and native fish populations were being wiped out. So now that very same department of game and fish has a bounty posted on river otters. Go figure.

TonyinKY, BIG D, nakneker and 2 others like this.
  6. Flouncer

Flouncer Gold $$ Contributor

Threads like this destroy the credibility and integrity of this website. Plain and simple.

7. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Do you have scientific proof of this or is this just one persons opinion?

Willie, nakneker, misfire and 2 others like this.
  8. Egg

Egg

Please elaborate

9. JimT

JimT “I don’t even own a piece of camo!”-Kenny Jarrett Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe you should read the article the OP cited before you pass judgement on the credibility and integrity of this website?

BIG D and Egg like this.
  10. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

The thread is posted on the hunting forum. It has everything to do with hunting. Just ask anyone that lives or hunts where the wolf is. They are wiping out the deer and elk in places, then they move and start all over again. It is an issue if you are a hunter. Matt

BIG D and dmoran like this.
  11. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

yeah did it here too--

12. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

map-historic.jpg map-actual-2009.jpg map-future-2009.jpg

gambleone likes this.
  13. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter

Sounds just like when we go to war with another country. Blow it up then rebuild it back better than what we have.. Same with the so called Red Wolves around here. You can't hardly tell them apart from coyotes.

14. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

We need more hunters out in the field. 36 States have recorded a substantial decrease in the number of hunting licenses sold since the early 1980's. One of the biggest declines was in Oregon. In 1975, 18.9% of Oregon's residents ages 12 to 69 had a hunting license. In 2013, that number was down to 8.3%:eek: Where wolves are legal to hunt, kill the darn things, especially the big males.

Bc'z, BIG D and jds holler like this.
  15. pacificman

pacificman

As far as I'm concerned...Wolves and cats should be extinct! They don't do anything for man except wipe
    out all game animals and domestic animals if given a chance!:mad:;)

Bc'z and okie like this.
  16. jds holler

I agree with ya JRS, which for some reason puzzles me.:p

What sucks though is that by the time a state allows wolves to be legally hunted, they have pretty much devastated the game populations in the areas they inhabit.

Then after a few years with lackluster deer or elk populations, license and tag sales go down, and the original goal of the anti-hunting crowd has been achieved. jd

300_whisper, BIG D, ledward and 4 others like this.
  17. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

It's possible that wolf could be mistaken for a coyote when you shoot it:D

Lone Hunter likes this.
  18. jds holler

We just had that scenario in Oregon last hunting season.

A guy claimed that he shot an attacking coyote in self defense as it charged at him and it turned out to be a wolf. It sounded pretty sketchy, but he was absolved of any charges. jd

19. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Perhaps it is yet another government tactic. "Either the buffalo go, or the Indians go". In this case, either the deer and elk go (by re-introducing wolves) or the hunters go.

20. longshot406

longshot406

There’s a hunting season? Open 12 months a year here. Gut shoot em and walk! Wolves.......Government sponsored terrorism!

riverwolf1, jotrot and pacificman like this.