Wolf SRM primer problems

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by normmatzen, Sep 13, 2017.

1. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

I have heard rumblings, especially from Australia, about wolf primers and primer piercing.
    Can anyone add any facts to this "rumor?" I am interested as I have been using Wolf LR for my 284WIN, 7X57 and Swiss army rifle and Wolf SRM for my 6BRX for about 10 years with no problems. Recently I have had a bunch of SRM primers pierced.

2. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

I use the Wolf/Tula SRM primers in the majority of my loads calling for a small rifle primer and I've never had one pierce. I've lit thousands of them without a single problem. I'm glad I have a couple of cases on hand . . .

3. Big Mc

Big Mc Gold $$ Contributor

I have used them for years in 6mmbr. Never had a problem. Never pierced one. Wish I could get more. But they are on the NO EXPORT list.. Tommy Mc..

JLT likes this.
  4. pikespeakgoat

pikespeakgoat Silver $$ Contributor

This!!!!

I am about out and wish I could still obtain them....

JLT likes this.
  5. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

The only problem I have with them I should of purchased 100,000 . Larry

JLT likes this.
  6. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

Wolf & Tula primers were never sold in Australia by name. PMC brought Russian manufactured primers into Australia some time ago. A year or so back, SR primers under the name of Murom were imported & some users had issues with primers leaking & burning the bolt face.

7. DR1586

DR1586 Silver $$ Contributor

I've run through thousands of them in my service rifles. Never had one pierce or leak. Also use the LRM in my Palma rifles and never had a problem.

8. RDavies

RDavies Silver $$ Contributor

The PMC SRM primers used to be my favourite small rifle primer and of the first 5000 lot of primers I used, there were no issues.
    Then I started a new lot and the primers were not piercing at the firing pin strike area, they were cracking at the corner as if they were too brittle. At first I misdiagnosed the problem as piercing due to high pressures, but after dropping charges way way down, the problem still persisted.
    This lot has ruined 2 bolt faces of mine so I have stopped using them. I do have a few other lots here but am a bit reluctant to experiment with them and do more damage to other bolts faces if they are also the brittle lot.
    I have never had a fault with the LR primers.

9. watercam

watercam Silver $$ Contributor

The only time I had any blank was before I had my firing pin turned down to .062" and bolt face bushed. Large size pins pierce small primers - even magnum and 5.56 types.