WOA How are their varmint uppers

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by jghoghunter, Jan 24, 2020.

1. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

For those of you guys that have or know someone who has a WOA varmint or preditor upper how do they shoot and do you know who's barrels they use.
    Can anyone compare the accuracy of WOA to Compass Lake?
    Should I or can I expect better accuracy from this WOA upper than say from a factory Bushmaster or RRA or Stag 15 varminter.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...rmint-upper-223-5-56-22-barrel-1-8-twist.html

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. Bamban

Bamban Silver $$ Contributor

Off the shelf WOA barrels are Wilson, they may be using Shilen as well, have to ask them. Check out their Precision section

White Oak Precision
    http://precision.whiteoakarmament.com/index-2.html

If you order a Whiteoak Precision upper (varmint uppers not listed in the WOP section, but John Holliger will make you whatever config you want) with Krieger or Bartlein barrels, chances are you get a shooter.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Don likes this.
  3. thejamesd

thejamesd Gold $$ Contributor

I have a WOA 16" upper that is very accurate.

4. jghoghunter

Was it an off the shelf upper or did you order it? Thanks

5. thejamesd

thejamesd Gold $$ Contributor

It was a new barrel & bolt, I assembled the upper. Barrel is marked WOA.

6. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

White Oak, Compass Lake, and Keystone Accuracy are all entirely equal in accuracy.

Pick the one that suits your budget in both wait time and money, though on the money, they aren't that far apart.

-Nate

hpshooter likes this.
  7. jghoghunter

Thanks guys anyone else with personal experience.

8. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

Ive got a WOA .223 1-12T varmint upper that wins the gas gun class at our local varmint matches, normally it shoots .75" or less at 200 yards

Also just put together a 20 practical upper with a WOA barrel and it's shooting just as good, but haven't finished load development yet

Boatschool02 and mac86951 like this.
  9. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving Gold $$ Contributor

My off the shelf 20" varmint 1:7 upper; 389/400 at 600Y using 77gr Sierra's. Have had it for 8 years.

Wilson barrel; cleans well; shoots well. I did change the gas block to an adjustable.

8k+ rounds fired now and I'm still not ready to change it out; shoots great at sub 300y still with 69 Sierra and 53gr matchkings.

If long range, would recommend a 24"; if short range; the Wylde chamber will have lots of jump (ie vlds are a maybe).

-Mac

Boatschool02 likes this.
  10. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

Between me and my shooting buddies we have 4 WOA barreled match guns. It's a toss up as to which one of these guns win that day. 3 of them are .223, 1 in 6WOA.

mac86951 likes this.
  11. msinc

msinc

Yes sir, I bought the 26" barrel and longer gas tube which I assembled on a side charge Mega upper. This one is a Wilson barrel and it absolutely exceeded my expectations for accuracy. I have always had good luck with Wilson barrels and have never had one foul. Examination with a borescope shows an interior finish that is always flaw free and rivals the most expensive so-called "high end" barrels. Buy with confidence, I think you will be very happy with anything White Oak Armament sells and their customer service is fantastic as well. They are very nice and accommodating folks to deal with. Best of luck.

12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I have one compass lake built with a 7.7 krieger and free float tube with eop upper. It has the regular cle service rifle chamber and shoots 75 hornadys real good. I also have a woa built the same with wilson 8tw instead and its almost equal

Boatschool02 likes this.
  13. Ragnar

Ragnar Shawn Greene Gold $$ Contributor

J. Hollinger did a 24" fluted Wilson barrel for me 1/8 twist and it has always shot clean out to 600 with handloads, Was not over priced at all for the value received. Wish I could find the Coyote pics running an Echo double tap.....Would not hesitate to buy again...

Boatschool02 likes this.
  14. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Out of three ARs I have, the White Oak varmint .223 is the most accurate, easily shoots 1/2 moa with handloads using Remington range brass.

Boatschool02 likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Is it a wilson barrel?

16. mousegunner

mousegunner

Wilson 1-8 varmint upper, Wylde chamber, 1/4 inch groups @100 yards, it will clean 300 rapid fire (with Win Ranger .64 gr factory ammo). Wilson good Shilen better.

17. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Don't know for sure. May have to remove the handguard.

18. jghoghunter

Well guys thank you very much. Because of your advice and the price of the WOA upper over a Douglas barreled Compass Lake upper. The WOA upper that is listed above is on its way to my house. This will be attached to my A2 bushmaster lower with a Tiggertech diamond in it. This is going to be my wifes birthday present for our trip prairie dog hunting. She has shot them many times with my ar and now she can have her own. She laughs like a little kid when they fly up in the air. Shes as much fun to watch as the kids.:p

19. Dave Marshall

Dave Marshall

Every WOA upper, barrel, or part I have bought has been top quality. They are my go to source for AR and T2k barrels. Quality products, great customer service, and fine folks.

Compass Lake and Keystone are just as good and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from either one. Keystone built me a .240 Tomahawk that won me several matches, regionals, and state titles.

All three above will be a bit better than RRA or Bushmaster.

20. skeeljc

skeeljc Silver $$ Contributor

I have a WOA 24" .223/5.56 Varmint barrel with 1 in 12 twist (I assume it is a Wilson). It shot sub MOA at 100 yards (often 1/2 MOA) with 55 and 62 grain bullets when I had it on an Aero Precision upper. I recently replaced the upper with a DPMS Lo-Pro heavy upper. I have not shot it since I replaced the upper receiver. I use the WOA Varmint float tube.

The rifle has a Magpul PRS stock, a Geissele High Speed National Match trigger, a JP bolt, a JP low mass bolt carrier and JP's Silent Capture recoil spring/buffer.

scan4.jpg