Wipeout cleanup in chamber

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Link, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

What do you guys use to clean up the chamber after wipeout?. Thinking of something like carb cleaner spray?
    thanks Don

2. wbm

wbm

I use carb cleaner sometimes bult mostly 91% isopropyl alcohol on a cotton patch and then dry with a couple more.

JSH, K9TXS, Dgd6mm and 1 other person like this.
  3. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

break clean with ram rodz 40 and 50 cal works great

Nature Boy, Link and Dgd6mm like this.
  4. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

Chamber sized bore mops, large brushes with patches, wool adhesive applicators (link). Topped with Rubbing alcohol usually. Pretty much anything if it will get it dry.

nmkid, BenPerfected and Link like this.
  5. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

I use a bore guide so very little liquid gets into the chamber, however after I have wiped down the bore and removed the bore guide, I take a cotton mop and ripe out the chamber with it and a very slight film of Essox or Ballistol.

jnyfeler, Link and Jdne5b like this.
  6. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

My boreguide doesn't have a o-ring to seal the chamber it's more of a universal one. I think a better boreguide would be a good investment.

antelopedundee likes this.
  7. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

If you have a vise with padded jaws remove the bolt and GENTLY clamp your rifle in the vise muzzle down. Put a catch jar under the muzzle. Get one of these wash bottles offa eBay or wherever and put some solvent 90% rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits from a metal can or charcoal starter into the wash bottle and GENTLY wash out the chamber. You could do something like the alcohol first followed by one of the other solvents. You could dry the chamber area with a hair dryer if you wanted. When done, I'd pust a wet path followed by a dry patch and call it good. For .30-06 size chambers I just use a .410 or 20 gauge bore mop.

[​IMG]

Link likes this.
  8. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Use a good bore guide with Oring, and then put a towel under the back end of the guide. You shouldn’t have any leakage issue, particularly if you keep the muzzle slightly lower during the dwell period.

9. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

I just slip a plastic bag over the stock. You can buy some 4 gallon size white ones at WallyWorld fairly cheap. A dab of accelerator on a piece of TP is good to wipe the carbon crap from the muzzle.

Link and 6MMsteve like this.
  10. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

I use small garbage bags over the butt stock slide it under the bore guide..stock protected then throw bag away..you can get oversized Q tips from Northern Tool they are long come in a assortment very good for cleaning chamber and dies and M brakes,

dc.fireman and Link like this.
  11. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

I use the wipeout as well as the accelerator but still leave it overnight if possible. Patches come out deep blue so I think it works well. I have yet to clean it after with another cleaner to see if wipeout got it all.

Link likes this.
  12. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

I'm a cheap azz so I use the wet umbrella bags that are free at the front door of most super markets. They are a perfect fit for the butt stock.

6MMsteve, Link and Just Say Moe like this.
  13. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Those do work great. I use the 45 cal size for .308 based chambers and the 9mm size for .223

Link likes this.
  14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Those leather stock protectors like edgewood sells are way simpler

Link likes this.
  15. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah, but I stated I was a cheap azz. I do have a problem explaining why I took 12 of the umbrella bags when I have no umbrella and the sun is shining.

jadz, Link and 6MMsteve like this.
  16. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

dewey 12" fixed handle cleaning rod, 223 wore out brush, 45 caliber wore out brush, used with Shotgun cleaning patches, cigarette lighter fluid, cleans a chamber in a skinny minute.

Wooden dowel, hole drilled in end to accept a cleaning brush, works very well

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    McGraw and Link like this.
  17. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

A shotgun rod end with one of those needle eye jags and a Kleenex with some 90% rubbing alcohol [enough to dampen] on it should clean the chamber fairly good. Coupla times with that followed by a dry one should work. You can also do the same with a small rifle rod and a cloth patch to clean the neck and throat. Sometimes those cheap 3 piece rods have a use.

Link likes this.