WINDTALKERS

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by SPJ, Sep 14, 2019.

1. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Gents, I’m starting a thread that I hope will stick around or get pinned.

Q- From a right hand twist barrel, is there any single point of wind that will send a bullet high right 2:00 ?

2. Warren Dean

Warren Dean Team Savage F-T/R Silver $$ Contributor

Short answer...no.

A vortex (dust devil with no dust) will sure do it. I have heard them called "puffs" and they are next to impossible to see.

Methinks this question has an underlying story. :)

MattPeetz and SPJ like this.
  3. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Could a trained eye spot such a vortex in a mirage ?

4. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

At Sacramento at 1K we have a small hill side on the left and mostly open on the right. Sometimes we get those crazy little “puffs” that are very difficult to see. The typical one we get sends them 10:30-11:00. I believe most of these types of phenomenas are range specific.

boltfluter and SPJ like this.
  5. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve seen my share of high left, there’s a range in Oregon that I just couldn’t pick up the changes and paid the price :(

swd likes this.
  6. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

That’s interesting that the small hill on the left and open right would move Bullets high left, actually when I think about it that’s probably exactly where a touch of 3:00 would send them

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  7. Rsadams

Rsadams

Spin drift.?

SPJ likes this.
  8. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I understand five points of wind that right hand spin drift will send a round high left 1:00-5:00

9. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

The wind is your friend LOL

butchlambert, simo hayha and SPJ like this.
  10. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Stan you’re the perfect person to chime in, if no single wind takes us high right, would it be shooter error or mirage and what direction

Stan Taylor likes this.
  11. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

I’m going with 7:00.

Ccrider, SPJ and rardoin like this.
  12. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

at at White Horse when I get 2 o'clock hits the wind is coming across my left shoulder so I don't have a clue LOL

SPJ likes this.
  13. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Yes,

Lets say the wind is blowing 10 mph from 2 to 8 o’clock quartering headwind. That will normally push the bullet down and left. If the same wind lets up to 5 mph it will move up and right towards your 2 o’clock position.

Flip the scenario and you can get the same thing from a quartering tailwind. Doing the reverse.

Bart

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Also, don't forget about any possible effect of intermediate berms. It is not uncommon for ranges that have intermediate berms to show effects with a head- or tail-wind component as the wind blows over the berms. A pickup of even 2-3 mph in a quartering wind from ~8:00 can definitely put the impact high and right if any intermediate berms are sufficiently tall, as the wind travels up and to the right off the face of the berm. In the same wind condition, a let-off will end up low and left.

15. clowdis

clowdis

16. RDavies

RDavies Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, there are wind conditions which will cause high right with a RH twist barrel, but only if it is due to range berms, walls or hills. Normally a wind from the left will push your bullet low and right in a 9-11 degree slope roughly. If you are shooting over a rise sloping up to the right, the left wind can cause an updraft.
    I remember shooting at Malaba range near the centre of Sydney and right at the time I was discussing this with some shooters, a kids balloon blew up from the beach, along a gully from the left. When the balloon reached the end of the gully, the balloon shot straight upwards about 20 feet before continuing along level again.
    At another range in the centre of Sydney, which has some walls and mounds along the sides of the range which can cause shots to go high right. According to locals, if it is over the more gently sloping mounds, the vertical is more predictable, but if the wind is over a straight wall, the turbulence is almost impossible to predict. Once you get away from the edges, bullets follow the usual high left, low right pattern though.

17. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

A left to right boil up might do that... basically moving what you see.

18. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

This is kinda where I’m coming from. My rifle normally hits where I’m pointing unless it don’t :oops:
    I’m thinking a 6:00 tailwind coupled with a touch of mirage near the target moving up and right could do it too

19. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Yep!

It’s not just walls berms!

It’s basic 101 short range flag reading!

Bart

boltfluter, Ned Ludd and SPJ like this.
  20. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

Untitled.png
    That class has pricey tuition!!!
    CW