Wind reads

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Paula Marie Hamilton, May 16, 2019.

1. Paula Marie Hamilton

Paula Marie Hamilton Gold $$ Contributor

First off New to this board, more of a main girl, but this is a competition question. Second my son started shooting air 3 yo, then precision 2yo and now smallbore. Mostly 50f stuff looking at college, but his mentor wanted him to do Fort Benning and so down the rabbit hole we have gone. He uses a FWB 2700 light (Thanks again guys) and eley ammo. It's a great combo allowing him to shoot 583, 569, 579 at 50, but not quite there at 50m. One thing he seems to have a bit of trouble is with reading & compensating for wind.

He had strep so was off school 2 days, & yes I encourage him to shoot a little. We had slight wind r-l near, stronger swirl l-r at about 45m. It played havoc with him. I didn't score him as per some good advice, but his grooping was wide. Can any of you guys teach me a little so I can impart some wisdom to him. Make it as basic or complex as you want, I'm not shy, if I don't understand I'll tell you.

Also we live near Louisville KY, and haven't been able to find a coach. Nearest one Fort Wayne 4 hours away. Louisville..... Lexington..... Cincinnati all work. Thanks.

2. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Google, wind reading by Vera Carter

3. 67gt350

67gt350

Paula,

Will you and your son be at the Bluegrass Outdoor Prone regional in Louisville this weekend? (Louisville Rifle and Revolver Club just off the brooks exit on I-65) If so I can impart some wisdoms on him ! FWIW Thanks Mark DelCotto

4. Pete Roberson

Pete Roberson Gold $$ Contributor

https://benchrest.com/forum.php
    Go here and it will bring you to an air gun forum.
    You will find someone close to you to guide your
    son in reading wind for 50m.
    One question I have is that, you are saying he's trying to
    shoot Eley flat nose pellets at 50 meters the first thing they may tell you is to switch to dome pellets but go there to get the help you need.
    Good Luck!
    Pete

5. 1813benny

1813benny

He is shooting a FWB smallbore rifle..not air. Eley ammunition.
    Regards
    ken

6. Pete Roberson

Pete Roberson Gold $$ Contributor

I had no idea they made a FWB 2700 in smallbore as they only list it in air?????
    Thanks for the heads up ken, wonder why they would list the same model number
    For smallbore and air?
    Sorry for the miss understanding Paula!
    Pete

7. Paula Marie Hamilton

Paula Marie Hamilton Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry Mark he is at Prom tonight. VeraCarter is helping a great deal. Great lady.

Attached Files:

1953greg and SPJ like this.
  8. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Good to know
    BTW: Handsome young Man”

9. 1813benny

1813benny

Several years ago, Wigger had a book / CD called "Reading the Wind" if I remember correctly.

To be honest, one of the best ways to learn how to read wind is to be coached by a Master class prone shooter who can lay there and explain the cause / effect of the different wind directions, what to look for, etc. This would also include a lesson on mirage, light, etc. to round out how to read conditions and understand impact of each.

I would make the effort to meet with Marc and take him up on his offer for some coaching.
    Best Regards
    ken