Winchester small rifle primer

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by nativecat01, Mar 18, 2019.

1. nativecat01

nativecat01 Gold $$ Contributor

Does anyone have a hard time seating Winchester small primers in Lake City brass? I reamed out the primer pockets. There is about 5 out of 100 primers that won't seat all the way unless they get crushed in. All them feel like they are catching on something, but not hard enough to prevent me from seating the primer.

2. Whit holman

Whit holman

Reream the ones that don’t want to seat
    Till they seat properly

3. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

What you really need is a swager…. I never had much luck reaming. Now I have arthritis in both hands so that's out.

4. nativecat01

nativecat01 Gold $$ Contributor

I have a swager. I forgot that I had one. I haven't needed to use it for a long time. Is it because the Winchester primers? I normally use Remington 71/2 small primers. I got a bargain on the Winchester small rifle.

5. big wes

big wes

I use a ton of Winchester primers, and never had a issue so far . I do swage my brass with a Dillon Swager

Baer45 and Alguapo like this.
  6. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria Silver $$ Contributor

I could never get my RCBS swager to do the job by itself, so I spun the flutes off an old countersink drill against a sanding belt, dropped it in the shellholder & knocked the crimp off the primer pocket first before swaging.

7. ronemus

ronemus Silver $$ Contributor

I find that Lake City brass has primer pockets that aren't always full depth and that the corners are rounded rather than square; in addition the reaming or swaging the crimp, you'll need to uniform the pockets. I find that the pockets are shallower after firing and a pass with the uniformer removes a bit of metal every time. I like the Sinclair uniformer because the carbide stays sharp practically forever, and it can't go out of adjustment. I use it to clean and uniform the pockets at the same time; with it chucked in a drill it's a fast process - no handle or holder needed, just chuck it up directly.

Zero333 likes this.