Winchester model 70 target action

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by c2a4r3l, Feb 10, 2018.

1. c2a4r3l

c2a4r3l

image.jpeg I found a 1976 Winchester model 70 target action. I am trying to find more information about. It's a rare action it has external trigger adjustment screw. I had to make a trigger for it. Wondering if anyone know anything about them.

2. c2a4r3l

c2a4r3l

I made a Winchester ruger 220 swift. I used a old ruger Douglass barrel set it back rechambered to get in to good rifleing also recrowned it. It shoots really good was a very fun build. Just got to use up some old parts a close buddy had laying around.

Attached Files:

3. Will Henry

Will Henry

The rarest post-64 Winchester action I saw was as Model 70 single shot target action. This was owned by a late friend of mine and I don't know what ever happened to it. My understanding was that Winchester made 25 of them though I could, as usual, be wrong. WH

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I bet they made more than that i owned 2 at the same time and knew of 2 more seperate ones. They had a 40x lookin wood stock with the rounded beavertail in the front, heavy and red like an old m14 stock. All 4 were chambered in 30-06, had a trigger like the one above that was adjustable thru the triggerguard and i heard rumor that i maybe half believe that one of the military units used them at camp perry then sold them at the match for a few years in the 70’s, maybe late 60’s. Not sure about all that so take it as you will

5. kountryboy2

kountryboy2 Gold $$ Contributor

I know of one. The late Ed Matunas worked for Winchester from 72-80. He had them build him a single shot target model 70 in 222 Remington. Ed shot benchrest some and used only compents that Winchester made he sold it and the last that he knew it ended up in California. I would love to find it and buy it.

6. Will Henry

Will Henry

Like I said, I'm not sure of the number nut I know they were limited. I believed they may have been produced specifically for the Palma match one year but all the guys I could ask are gone now. I re-barrelled the one I speak of with a hammer-forged Winchester blank which was as nice a barrel as I've ever looked through. I wish I had a bunch of those now. WH