winchester large rifle match primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by double g, Feb 2, 2020.

1. double g

double g Gold $$ Contributor

anyone tried them

2. thatguyshm

thatguyshm

I have a couple of pitted bolt faces from winchester primers paired with new winchester brass. I don't see myself ever going back to them. Not what they used to be in my opinion.

Urv and Steve Ladino like this.
  3. oley55

oley55

^^^^Prezactly what he said^^^^^^

edit: just realized the post was reference WIN Match primers. These pics show just one of several failures for 308 in a Savage and a Rem 700 using their standard primers. Mid-range load. Winchester did me right and paid shipping and paid for the remainder of a thousand I had left over.
    IMG_3513.JPG IMG_3514.JPG IMG_3516.JPG IMG_3517.JPG

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  4. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I use a lot of them with no trouble. thatguyshm, you might have your smith check the firing pin size and firing pin hole.

Bluetip, swd, LA50SHOOTER and 2 others like this.
  5. JimSC

JimSC

the piercing problem was with a couple of lot numbers a few years back. I had the same issue, so I contacted Winchester and they made it good. That being said I have a .260 Remington load using 4831 SC and a 140 gn bullet that loves them but that is the only combo that seems to. Buy a sleeve and do a test

6. Homerange

Homerange

Nope, nutthing to do with firing pins. W primers and hot loads blow around the edge of the primer cup and the hot gasses etch grooves into bolt faces.
    Seen a couple of badly etched bolts both from using W primers and hot loads.
    Never popped one myself however I won't now use W LRP's because of this ^.

7. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

I have run a lot of Winchesters and the only thing I noticed is they fit looser in fired brass. I have not blown a single one as of yet. I hope I don't have any of the affected lot.

8. D-4297

D-4297 Silver $$ Contributor

Don't think the primer is the issue , so much as the load in front of it . I've shot roughly 4 - 5 thousand of them through several of my M-N's without issue , using a 80 -85% max load on a 174gr. SMK ...If you load your best 115% Super Comp SRP load in a LRP case , uhhhhh DUH ! Your gonna have problems . Maybe it's time we started explaining to new reloaders , and Hunter reloaders , that Comp reloads are a bit extreme for normal purposes . Like using them in hunting rifles , and plinking .

9. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

but your 80/85% load is almost no test.
    I use fed in my mns with 174's.
    they should not Fail at 100%. ( you should not ASSume others are shooting over 100 %)
    yes in the PAST sr win had a big failure rate mainly in ar's in service rifle loads.
    I still have some lr but they just sit for the most part.

10. D-4297

D-4297 Silver $$ Contributor

Shouldn't be a "Test" , and I'm not "assuming" anything . Learn to load what the gun shoots best , and most accurately . I spend a lot of time at the range listening to people around me talking about their "Super" loads , and how that extra velocity will reach out to get that Buck for them . The "assumptions" are coming from those who think my "Comp" load will work in their $300.00 hunting rifle .

hpshooter and butchlambert like this.
  11. JimSC

JimSC

you are right. It was gas leaking around the edges not pierced primers. I sent Winchester pics of the remainder of mine with the lot #'s and they replaced them, about 18 sleeves if I remember correctly. Have not had a issue with the replacements. Luckily I shoot Savages so a etched bolt face is a $20 fix

Bluetip likes this.
  12. thatguyshm

thatguyshm

As far as myself, the biggest issue I had was in my 338-06 and H380 and 200gr bullets. I had a few issues with a 22-250 and 308 as well. It was not consistent, and as far as I could tell it was from defective primers. Hopefully everyone loads safely, and stays away from the "115%" loads. Shoot straight.

13. SPQR70AD

SPQR70AD

from what I have seen Winchester makes the worst rim fire centerfire and shotgun ammo so I guess primers fall into the pile

wholmes likes this.
  14. Walt Krafft

Walt Krafft Gold $$ Contributor

"Winchester" and "match" should never be used in the same conversation. I stopped using Winchester anything 15 years ago.

15. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

You know, if you want to know sumpin, check the innerned.

16. DDRH65PRC

DDRH65PRC

are these the gold colored primers? Do they make a "match" version?
    I've since switched to CCI BR2. it's a bit bigger and has a better resistance feel when priming.

Bluetip likes this.
  17. ckrifles

ckrifles Gold $$ Contributor

I have shot 1000s of win primers. I have shot 1000s of CCI primers. I have shot 1000s of other brands of primers. If the primer goes in with too little pressure when you are seating. Do not shoot.

18. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Winchester Old White Box Primers ? Good Stuff .

That was many years ago , had more Hair .

RAD57, Iowa Fox and hpshooter like this.
  19. Bill Norris

Bill Norris Gold $$ Contributor

I have to agree Winchester brass is the worst I ever tried to use. Last time I used it was new mild loaded for a 22-250. Primers would fall out of the pocket when I tried to reload them a second time. Threw them away and never bought any since and don't plan to.

SPQR70AD, Iowa Fox and Don like this.
  20. lgwatson

lgwatson Gold $$ Contributor

I have used several thousand of them with Lapua brass with no problems.

D-4297 likes this.