winchester bolt post 64 repair

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by painter, Nov 19, 2019.

1. painter

painter Gold $$ Contributor

I need a post 64 win bolt repair, It appears that the firing pin cap pin has broken allowing the cap to move rearward. I will try to post pix, thanks painter

2. painter

Winchester bolt post 64 needs repair, looks like firing pin cap pin broke? first pix post bear with me iI I am computer challenged thanks Painter This is for a friend need someone to repair the bolt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You need a new bolt shroud. Nobody would repair that

4. painter

Thanks I know nothing of the Winchester bolt.

5. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

I don’t believe that is sold as a separate piece. It’s part of the firing pin itself.

6. Daveinjax

Numrich has post 64 firing pins in stock. $72-$85 for the pin. They’re listed for each particular rifle but I don’t believe there is any difference in the firing pins except for short and long.

7. painter

Thanks Painter

8. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

This version of the M70 bolt has a cap that simply covers the rear end of the bolt for a smoother look. It is held on by a pin going clean thru it and the back of the firing pin has a notch in it to clear this pin when the bolt is cocked. The pin usually is bent when a primer is pierced (usually too hot of a load), which forces the firing pin farther back than its normal position when cocked and the notch is no longer sufficient for the firing pin to clear the cap pin. You'll have to figure out a way to get the bent pin out of the way so the cap can come off. Sometimes this pin breaks and often it just has a deep bend in it, which makes it more difficult to remove. Check the diameter of the pin and you can replace the cap with a new pin if the cap is not bent out of shape too much. The cap and pin are not necessary to the operation of the bolt or rifle, just looks ugly with the cap left off. This version came out in the XTR model and didn't last long before being replaced by the more standard model 70 firing pin/bolt look which was used before and after the "cap" model.

Daveinjax likes this.
  9. Hopkins

Hopkins

Check with David Tubbs Mod 70 performance parts. If I recall correctly they sell an improved version of the part in question.

10. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

Tubbs sells speedlock firing pins for the Mod. 70, but nothing resembling the cap on your bolt. You don't need a new firing pin; just remove the cap and bent/broken pin and the rifle will function okay -- whether you put the cap back on with a new pin or leave it off altogether.

Daveinjax likes this.
  11. Daveinjax

Thanks SBS. I was unaware that there were M70’s with pinned caps. All of my M70’s have been classics.

12. 30EX

30EX Gold $$ Contributor

I have a new rear cap if that will help you out

The X-Man