Winchester 1885 220 swift is !

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Ironworker, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

Received my re-worked trigger back from Lee shaver gunsmith who specializes in these type of rifles and have also sanded out forearm to create a "Free float" on the forearm and now rifle is a tack driver.But at first it was a headache.

2. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

Good to hear. 1885 Winchesters and copies and Ruger #1s tend to be sensitive to forend mounting and fit, so that was a good area to attack. I would hazard a guess that all falling block single shots tend to be like that, but those are the only 2 I have any experience with. That, and lots of good advice from Lee Shaved. :)

3. Ironworker

I will say its not an easy rifle to shoot. Still have to hold it just right,but not as sensitive as it was.

4. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

I shot the Coors single shot matches and owned a half dozen falling blocks. The forearm needs direct attachment to the barrel with separation between the forearm and the receiver.
    While this may be ok for target and hunting application it may not be pleasing on a custom piece of wood.

5. Tim s

Tim s

How exactly do we float a highwall forend?
    I own a few classic ‘walls in various 22 CF chamberings and, frankly, proper bedding of the buttstock seems as if not more important.
    The best I’ve seen is on a CC Johnson 225 I have that Hal Hartly stocked where a solid post is used between upper and lower tang and then a long draw bolt going to a trapdoor butt plate to cinch it down.....very stable.

6. Ironworker

I removed the Forearm and carefully sanded and sanded until I could slide a dollar bill between the bbl and forearm. Now it shoots very well.