Wilson Ultra Seater die issue

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by 4xforfun, Sep 14, 2019.

1. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I have been using my Wilson Ultra seater die for over ten years with zero issues. Tonight I am in the process of loading up a ladder test for a new Dasher BBL with a new lot of VT 103's. The issue is that about every other bullet sticks in the seater stem. I took the die apart and cleaned the seater stem out. It was very gucky (that is an actual industry term...look it up) so, I cleaned it out with break clean and q tips. Figured that my problems were solved , but..the very next bullet stuck in the die again. I am using a .266 bushing with no turn brass, so...way more than enough neck tension to hold the bullet in the case. I see no damage to the seater stem. Only thing I can think of is putting some light oil in the stem, but that doesn't fix the actual problem....something is wrong. It has to be the bullets, but I have no idea what it is. The seater has NEVER been apart and NEVER dropped or damaged.

Any Idea's?

Tod

PS...tried a light coat of light oil inside the stem.... No joy!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    SPJ likes this.
  2. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Gold $$ Contributor

Prob Trump's fault...

Mark W, Mad_Charlie and 4xforfun like this.
  3. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

Do you by any chance have another seating stem you could try...as in another 6mm die? dedogs

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Too much neck tension will do that. Try some lapping compound on a bullet and spin it in there- deglaze it a bit

Mad_Charlie likes this.
  5. 4xforfun

No....only other 6mm seater I have is a Redding. Different.

6. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

I will all usually get seating stems that fit best with the bullet profile. Call Wilson and ask.

7. 4xforfun

Seems odd......this isn't the first lot of Vapor trails that I have used. I'm fighting it...I have 3 left. I try and seat them...they stick, I run the case through the neck sizer again and try again and a few more will seat.....size again and try again. Been 3 hours trying to get 30 rounds seated!!:mad:

8. 4xforfun

When I first started having problem I simply ran them back through the seater die and I noticed that the seating PSI (neck tension) had dropped off a noticeable amount..that is why I ran them back through the neck die..to get my tension back. NONE of the lighter neck tension brass would hold a bullet. You may very well be correct, but I don't feel I am anywhere near that point yet.

Are you saying try and gently lap the inside of the stem?

Thanks,
    Tod

9. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Have you tried feeding the bullets in to the seater stem by hand to see if you can get them to stick?

10. 4xforfun

Yes they stick, so I tried Dusty's idea of gently lapping the inside of the stem with a bullet and some scope lapping compound. Nothing worked. i tried some empty cases and...since I am loading compressed loads of RL 16, I loaded some up fullish and tried to seat some bullets. Both stuck. I am going to walk away for the night and try again tomorrow. Way to pissed off right now. I have loaded 10000 bullets with this seater with ZERO issues!!

Thanks again guys!!

Tod

11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Compressing powder and extra neck tension is jamming the bullet into the seater. Do you have a regular threaded seater you can try?

garandman likes this.
  12. mikecr

mikecr

Does it take a lot of force to seat your bullets?
    Is it a 24cal seater stem?

13. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I can only assume the VT103's are a VLD design. Wilson has a VLD seater stem for this style of bullet, and I use it on my Berger 105 Hybrids. You might try Wilson to see what they have for a VT103.

14. 4xforfun

No. Obviously it takes a little more force when I am loading compressed loads, but I have been on 35(ish) gr of RL 16 (compressed, as I do not use a drop tube) most of the summer wit the 105HB , and i have also tested the 103 in different tubes with compressed loads also. Like i said, the bullets stick weather there is lots of seating force or next to none....and it started yesterday. NEVER, ever had an issue before with this same die, and I got it in 2008. I found a node in the 34 .5 area....light compressed....I am going to take another run at this tonight.

Thanks,
    Tod