wilson barrels

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by hodgman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. hodgman

hodgman

Anyone ever use these? any pros or cons to them .any info appreciated.

2. Mudcat

Mudcat Gold $$ Contributor

Use them on a T2k all the time for XTC shooting. I cannot tell the difference between the Wilsons and any other brand that I have used for that purpose. and sure cant beat the price

3. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

I have one in 223, 24" bull barrel. It shoots 1 moa all day long.

4. th82457

th82457 Silver $$ Contributor

If I am not mistaken that is what Cooper uses on their rifles.

5. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I have one on a AR 15 and I was shooting less then 1/2" during the so called, "break in". And that was with the stock 6.5 lb. trigger. Have a new trigger coming and kind of wondering just how good it can actually shoot. Also, clean up was a breeze hardly any coppering. I ordered another Wilson yesterday for my grandson's AR.

6. msinc

msinc

The man that makes them is a real first class professional jerk ass on the phone, but the barrels shoot good. I have several and as stated previously, they are very hard to beat for the money. They do a good job finishing the inside too, no tool marks can be seen with my bore scope in every one I own and have looked at.

boltfluter likes this.
  7. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I've started working with one on a 6.5mm Remington Magnum build. 1 in 8" twist. Was shooting 3/4 to 1 MOA during the first couple visits to the range for load testing, but had to throw all the data out the window after identifying a faulty scope on the rifle during testing. Scope has been replaced and will be continuing load testing again soon. Will let you know how it shoots.

I have another Wilson on one of my 6mm Remingtons. 1 in 8" twist. Have not fired a single round through it yet tho.

8. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

I have been working with someone in Idaho, he shoots a 6.5 Creed. Wilson and is having trouble shooting anything else as it shoots so good.

9. johnfred1965

johnfred1965

IIRC, Cooper Rifles use Wilson barrels, and they shoot fantastic

dgray likes this.
  10. Jeff A

Jeff A Formerly known as BikeEffects Silver $$ Contributor

Two Cooper rifles and my Varmint AR all with Wilson barrels, all shoot great.

11. k80skeet

k80skeet

Yes, they have been used on Cooper Rifles for years. In fact the man that owns Wilson barrels bought The Cooper Rifles a few years ago. Coopers Rifles are some of most accurate Rifles on the market and guarantee 1\2” groups at 100 yards.

12. Ledd Slinger

Finally got back to load testing the 6.5 Rem Mag with a good scope onboard. I'd say the Wilson barrels will shoot.

Two groups at 100 yards while load testing with RL26 powder and 140gr Berger Hunting VLDs. The two groups are .5gr different in charge weight.

20180929_133112.jpg

20180929_133915.jpg

13. Geronimo Jim

Geronimo Jim Gold $$ Contributor

Cooper rifles uses them. After the owner (Dan Cooper) was found out to support Obama, he was forced to sell
    the company and Wilson barrels bought the company. IIRC

14. Ledd Slinger

I still haven't tested the 1 in 8" twist Wilson barrel on my 6mm Remington. Barrel looks good with my borescope. Hopefully it will give me similar results to the one on the 6.5 Rem Mag.

15. PWS

PWS Silver $$ Contributor

Here's my small bit of experience with Wilsons: 1 -458, 1-416, 3-358s, 1- 30 and 1 - 6.5.

The #5.5 contour 458 is not the smoothest bore and the groove appears to be a bit fat but doesn't foul badly and most loads run about 1.5moa.

Haven't chambered the #5.5 .416 but it looks smoother. This barrel has a notable curve, the worst of the seven, maybe .030-.040" from my experience. Will probably shoot just fine.

The three #4 .358s have all been excellent. Perhaps Wilson's .35cal tooling is newer or something but they've been within .010" of being straight and very smooth inside. The two .35Whelens and one .358Win have easily produced 1moa groups, clean up fast, and I'm very happy with them.

The fluted LV 30cal also wasn't particularly straight or smooth but it'll do 0.5moa with loads it likes (300WSM).

And lastly, the fluted LV 6.5 also wasn't particularly straight or smooth but it'll do 0.5moa with loads it likes (6.5CM).

I've been buying them from:

https://raggedholebarrels.net/collections/wilson-barrels

And think they're well worth the price.

16. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

it is pure hell when you get a bad barrel, expensive and a waste of much money and probably 100 hours of your time. Money spent on a top drawer barrel is cheap money. Most important,dealing with a barrel maker will replace a "bad" barrel in a hurry is Peace of Mind!

17. Ledd Slinger

True enough, but I don't recall anyone complaining about a Wilson barrel on this thread... I'm sure as heck not complaining either. A little crooked or straight, I dont really care so long as it shoots. My targets speak for themselves ;)

18. accuracyman

accuracyman Silver $$ Contributor

I have chambered and shot four Wilson barrels. All have been 6.5's and all four shoot as well as any of the other top brands. These are hunting rifles and not competition guns so all have been the #4 hunting contour. For the price I cannot see using anything else as long as the contours available will fit your need. I have chambered and shot hunting rifles with Shilen, Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, Hart, Broughton, and PacNor barrels. I can say that every one of the mentioned barrels have shot very well. I will add Wilson to the list of barrels I will definitely order and chamber again. The biggest limitation with Wilson barrels are the contours available. A #4 hunting contour and a LV barrel. He does stock a few #5's but only in big bore barrels. I wished I could get a #5 or Rem Varmint contour in a Wilson then I would not look anywhere else for hunting purposes. As a matter of fact I have two more Wilson barrels on order as we speak. Best bang for the buck in a hunting barrel if you ask me.

My opinion is based upon my personal experience with Wilson barrels that I have chambered and shot thus far. It's true not all of them were as straight as a Krieger, Brux, or Bartlein but all were dialed in properly and all have shot great. You can get a barrel from any manufacturer that may not meet your expectations so your mileage may vary.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  19. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

I am not complaining about Wilson barrels. I am saying that I don't like ending up like one of the pioneers, face down with arrows in my back.

Buying a barrel that has been honed and lapped, inspected is money well spent in my experience. The attitude of the barrel maker is worth gold when they try to make sure you have a quality product of theirs.

20. accuracyman

accuracyman Silver $$ Contributor

AckleymanII,

My comment was in no way aimed at you. I do not disagree with your point of view. I too use top manufacturers on all competition rifles. I have found the Wilson barrels to be well made and scope well and have proven to be a bargain for hunting accuracy. I too agree that top manufacturers will stand behind their products and that is worth piece of mind. Since I do my own work if I get a dud then I’m not out that much. I might have a different opinion if I was paying someone to do the clambering.

Pray for hummers and settle for great ones .

Kris