Why would my velocity go up in free recoil?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Falfan2017, Jul 7, 2018.

1. LCazador

LCazador Competitive shooter and reloader for 50 years+ Silver $$ Contributor

I'd say the load is at max or past max. While some maximum loads may flat line other loads may have erratic behavior with much higher velocity and big spreads at times. Measure head diameter of new cases and then monitor expansion to verify any excess pressure.

2. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

25 rounds in 30 minutes is probably more than a bit on the hot side ..... at least it would be for my rifles. We might do 5-10 rounds in a half hour depending upon outdoor temperature and caliber and barrel contour. JME. WD

3. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

It's a 28" full contoured barrel. I don't even see much affect from the heat shooting strings of 20 rounds plus sighters 3 times for f class.

4. bkluke

bkluke

Did your point of impact change as the velocity increased? If not, I would suspect your chronograph

dmoran and WyleWD like this.
  5. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

No it impacted the same. But it was only 200 yards. I'm suspecting the chrono seems unlikely the speeds could jump that much.

6. Gilbert Garza

Gilbert Garza

I’m going to say that your freecoil is influencing your rifle in a way that it’s getting closer or further away from your sensor area on your chrony causing the error. That is way to fast and I’d take it as an error. When I run my magnetospeed I get roughly the same variance as Mr Wheeler stated of Mousel. The machines have a .1% variance that it would allow a couple FPS here and there. But having a swing that large would mean either your ammo cooked in your chamber, very hot chamber, or your chrony Misread the bullets path.