Why so much dumping of Sightron 10-50 scopes?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ledd Slinger, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ranger3

ranger3 Silver $$ Contributor

A scope with a reticle that can be used for hold off either in one or two Moa is very helpful at 1K if you have wind if you don't have when then certainly the. Might be easier but where I live the wind always blows.

2. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Can I look through this Mike?

Ray

3. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

You're certainly welcome to. Im hoping to be up thursday before the world open, could be friday though. Ill be staying in my camper there. Anytime.

4. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I thought about that too then realized I'd need a Front focal plane scope for that and the reticle may be larger than I'd like. With mirage and dialing down the power to clean it up, I'd have to have a FFP to make that work. I'm pretty used to dialing windage and elevation for range fairly fast. I'll probably stick with the SFP since I don't shoot matches that have varying range and timed shooting

5. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Same here. Dots "can" be very nice to have if sized correctly, but I am very picky when it comes to dots. Has to be just the right size and floating, but not too far from the posts for more accurate windage holds at long range.

The most perfectly sized dot I had was on a Delta Stryker 5-50x56 I used to own. Worked very well at ranges from 100 on out as far as you wanted to go. Dot was floating just enough off the posts so you could see all around it. Posts weren't cluttered but had good marks for windage holds. Excellent design.

The floating dot on the new Crimson Trace 6-24x I picked up recently is a little too big. The dots on my Japanese Tasco 36x and frozen Leupold 36x scopes are nice for precise aiming but a little too thin for my taste. Work great in sun light, but my aging eyes don't like them much in lower light settings.

The floating crosshair in the 4.5-30x56 Trijicon Accupower is just the right size. Very thin for precise range work and can be illuminated in low light so it doesnt get lost in the shadows. The entire reticle is floating in the middle which leaves a huge field of view all around it.

You can get a floating dot reticle in the Trijcon 5-50x56 model, but it's only offered in the MRAD reticle version which is still second focal plane, but it also has MRAD turrets. Most benchrest folks havent turned onto MRAD yet. I've been starting to try it out over the last few years and am finding that it actually works very well. It helps since I have to constantly use the metric system while working overseas.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. Raythemanroe

I agree on weight, 70 moa is fine for Benchrest.. I would rather they built one similar to the 45x45 but variable like a 10-50x but lighter for making weight in LG.. The SV ED is heavy and if they were going for the tacticool market they should have went all in and not half @$$ed it.. That I agree with you, but Sightron did up the glass quality in a scope that holds, which is top on my list but the weight.. OMG

Where can I find the Trijicon price you got?

Ray

Ledd Slinger and 284winner like this.
  7. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

You probably won't unless buying used. Just received my SIII 10-50x60 Zero stop. I will say it's a heavy scope as well. I love it tho. I do really like the MOA 2 reticle better than any other. Obviously a FFP using the MOA is a better option but I'll deal with it. Look forward to getting it out on the range

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  8. Ledd Slinger

MidwayUSA had 2 brand new 4.5-30x56 SFP reticle models on sale at super low clearance prices. I bought the first one for $1448, then they dropped the last one down to $1325! My jaw dropped when I saw the price of the last scope and I damn near bought that one too. I finally managed to restrain myself from spending that much money on another scope I didnt need. With hindsight, I maybe should have done it and flipped it for a few hundred dollars profit. I think they sell more of the FFP Trijicon models since the scope is definitely geared more towards the ELR and PRS crowds. But honestly not totally sure why the two scopes were on clearance. They weren't blemish, demo, or rebuilt scopes.

I noticed Trijicon hiked the prices up on them about $200 since the initial release. Still well worth it even at the higher price.

slugger3 likes this.
  9. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

What line/marking are you guys talking about on the ed model sightron?

20190701_060332-600x800.jpg

Raythemanroe likes this.
  10. Raythemanroe

You got high or extra high rings on?

Ray

11. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Ray, I believe they're the tallest, but they been around for a while now without the package.

dwall likes this.
  12. Raythemanroe

Thanks, I have been eyeballing this scope and with the Christmas in July promotion from Sightron $200 rebate I think I will pull the trigger.. I will just go extra high to make sure..

Ray

13. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

20190630_130448-600x800.jpg

You can see 6mm in the white with it, and it holds.

Here is probably the weight and the reason there's only 70 moa. Next to a NF br, and unlike the nf, the main tube is one piece.

Tom

Raythemanroe likes this.
  14. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

I think it's the one with the zero stop that doesn't have a reference line for elevation.

15. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

So the Benchrest scope has markings.....and we could care less lol

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  16. beemanjohn

beemanjohn Silver $$ Contributor

I just looked at the Sightron website and it looks like they make 7 different SV scopes, and only one has the zero stop that blocks the markings. I sure would like to try the target dot one!

17. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

I have that one. And it resolves better than anything I've seen to date, and is bright, and isn't fussy about eye relief. It's only hiccup is the weight, but I have no problems on my current light gun platform....actually added lead.

Tom

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Rogmay and Evlshnngns like this.
  18. Ledd Slinger

If a person didnt want or need a zero stop, then the Sightron sounds like a pretty nice piece of glass. The Japanese have definitely stepped their game up in the optical department. Not that they were ever really lacking, but their new ED lenses and coatings are pretty amazing. So I'm not surprised to hear about the resolution and brightness in the SV Japanese ED glass.

I can see my bullet holes on target in the white on 30x at 500 yards in mild to even slightly moderate mirage conditions. Havent used the Trijicon past 500 yards yet. To put it into perspective, my Swarovski ATX spotting scope with the 95mm objective was having a little trouble seeing the same holes. However, I will admit that I have since sold the Swarovski spotter cuz it didnt overly impress me compared to my last spotter. Never should have sold my Meopta S2, it was a cherry for sure.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    sdeal5 likes this.
  19. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

how do you like it compared to the kahles? thanks in advance

20. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

I'll let you know after I shoot it at deep creek. That range faces east and that's the one thing the kahles struggles with.

Tom

group therapy likes this.