Why so much dumping of Sightron 10-50 scopes?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ledd Slinger, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Sniper338

Sniper338

I donno but I wisj I had 3 more of em.

2. NZ_Fclass

NZ_Fclass

Have a look at the Falcon S30. Very cheap and works well. Should have a good warranty. Milrad, not MOA, but hey - for little money...

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for the info, but I ended up getting him a used NF BR from a nice member here in the classifieds

4. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

Hell I had to go to Sightron's website to see that they weren't white letters. I have two of them, and cant honestly say I have ever given a rats a$$ about the color of the lettering on a scope lol. Seems kind of petty to me, but I've never been one to be much about the appearance of things. To each their own though! I know plenty of people who are just the opposite of me.

5. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

It is 'petty' of me and that's why I said it has "no relevance" on the subject. Just a personal preference and opinion. Nothing more.

I dont know why it bothers me, but every time I look at a Sightron SIII, I kind of recoil in disgust. Lol. ;)

mikeeg02 likes this.
  6. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

Lol I understand. Im just picking. It just cracked me up quite honestly.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  7. best defense

best defense

Yup, I bought my NF thru Optics Planet. It was a used rebuilt model but I works better than the Vortex that I ended up trading off. Make that a lot better for about the same $. The NF was about $200 more used than the Vortex was new.

8. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Show me one companies scopes that haven't failed in one area or the other. Find one that hasn't been sent back to the factory for warranty work. You just won't find one. I've read posts on all brands of scopes that have had issues. I certainly don't need to vouche for NF, their history does it for them. Many guys do not like Leupold from problems. I'm a huge Leupold user and haven't had one issue...yet. Sightron makes phenomenal scopes especially for the money spent. So do many other companies. I truly can't think of another company that builds a rifle scope as well for it's cost as Sightron.

9. ranger3

ranger3 Silver $$ Contributor

I've wondered if NF comps some of the pro users to make it more appealing. I know this happens in other industries such as fishing, golfing, etc.

10. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Absolutely. Still they are outstanding scopes.

Raythemanroe likes this.
  11. fourpower

fourpower

these scopes are great for the money. I have 3 of them and never paid over $850. around here they are trading for the new zero stop because it cost $180 dollars plus shipping to put zero stop on there old scope. I just sold my old 10-50 for $750 as it had no ring marks and look brand new and got a new one with zero stop for $950. there zero stop is to die for!

12. Ledd Slinger

What do you mean by "to die for"?

If the zero stop is anything like what they did on their new SVSS-ED model, I wouldnt want anything to do with it. That one is the worst design I have ever seen on a scope.

13. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

Zero-Stop is over-rated IMO. - I use a "tally-book" to record the details of the scope/rifle/load/elevation/etc. - 20 years ago before "zero-stop" was a feature we still managed. -

dmoran and Ledd Slinger like this.
  14. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Zero your cap and learn your minutes

Ray

mikeeg02 likes this.
  15. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

I see what your saying about the white hash mark or line on the tube being so far away from the turret marks. I have a new moa-2 8x32-56 with the zero stop. It’s a takes alittle bit of patience to get it to stop in the exact spot you want it to, takes a bit more back off than what you would think. Edit: You find your load then set turrets to zero as normal. Then your supposed to screw zero stop up to turret then lock it down, this makes the hard stop. But doing so it locks the turret up like a jam nut. So what I was saying you have to back the zero stop ring off just a little to get in a sweet spot so the turret will still turn.
    I really think it’s a solid scope, and the side focus really does focus well. I would not hesitate to recommend these Sightron SIII scopes.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  16. dmoran

dmoran Silver $$ Contributor

My own FREE zero-stop:
    - from the bottom of elevation adjustment, how ever many MOA it is UP to my Zero
    - same for the windage (do all mine from the Left adjustments bottom)
    - for all my rifles and/or barrel(s)
    It's worked great for me for +25-years !.!.!

jr600yd, McGraw and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  17. Ledd Slinger

I see. Yeah I can see that zero stop working as a modification for a scope that was never originally built to have one. Just cant believe they used such a rudimentary design on the brand new SVSS ED models they came out with.

Not sure why Sightron can't figure out how to bring their technology up to par with the rest of the field??? So many great scopes are out there for everyone to see. There is no feasible excuse I can think if to use an external jam nut as a zero stop with a new scope design like they did in the SVSS ED. It's like the whole thing was a quick fix when they realized they screwed up and forgot to integrate a zero stop in the design.

Below is a pic of my favorite zero stop to date.
    1) Remove the tooless turret by unscrewing top cap with your fingers.
    2) Loosen the set screws on the black zero stop ring. 3) Let it drop all the way down to the bottom of the elevation post, then spin the ring until it stops on the peg.
    4) Re-tighten the set screws.
    Done.
    No unsightly jam nut, super easy to adjust and set perfect every time, stops the turret dead nuts on your zero point with no play, and is solid as a rock.

Screenshot_20190623-210424_Gallery.jpg

McGraw likes this.
  18. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

We get it, you are a gizmo snob.. Many competitive shooters want a scope to hold and see through conditions.. Please give the under dog it's due, $1875 competing with $3000 glass . It doesn't have to be the best turret configuration ever to get a good review..

Ray

Evlshnngns, mikeeg02 and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  19. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons

I have a 6-24x56 Sight III Mill Dot,,, so far so good at year 5 for F Class and hunting on my 18 ish lb'er,,, now at 16 ish lbs with the diet program... Ha...

$1300 ish Cnd funds,,, that would be $4200 Cnd funds to find the NF or $3600 ish for the Vortex...

Yuppers,,, super clear glass and good enough for my 100 to 1700 meter stuff...

All good as it goes through tracking test number 11 before hunting season...

Fingers crossed as I try not to face plant it like last year into the weeds... Ha.

Glow in the dark hash marks are the best

Raythemanroe likes this.
  20. mike a

mike a Gold $$ Contributor

I know what your thinking, did I crank up one or two revs. The question is do you feel lucky. Well do you punk.