Why so much dumping of Sightron 10-50 scopes?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ledd Slinger, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Everyone always talks about how great Sightron scopes are and I have always considered a 10-50 SIII, but I am wondering if they aren't so great... Seems like every time I check the classifieds there's another 10-50 up for grabs. Sometimes selling at only 60%-70% of retail which suggests to me that people just want to dump them fast for whatever reason. Just wondering the truth about that optic and why people always seem to sell them?

2. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

I have one on top of my 6br and think it can't be beat for the money. Was at the range the other day in 95 degree heat with terrible mirage. This guy had a spotting 10-60x60 spotting scope and he couldn't see his 338 sized groups at 300 yards with it. I was easily able to see his groups through the sightron and at a much lower power. Then I did some dialing tests. Hitting an 8 inch plate at 1000 then dialing 30 moa back to 100 yards then out to 600 then back to 1000 and hitting the 8 inch plate again no provlem.
    I've looked through nightforce that cost 3x as much and don't see much difference. I have a march and it is a bit crisper and has better controls and is lighter but again cost 3x as much.

AckleymanII, billlarson and Rogmay like this.
  3. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

Also they have been selling second hand for not much less than they are bought discounted new. I paid around 700 new from optics planet with some of their discount codes.

Rogmay likes this.
  4. savageshooter86

savageshooter86 Silver $$ Contributor

I have s3. No trouble and love scope. Great value for what you get. If I see one cheap enough on here I’ll snag another up just to have

5. Sniper338

Sniper338

I have 3 of them... great scopes... people upgrade... If they cant use it they sell it to help upgrade... Ive been 100% happy with mine and would buy more of them. Hard to beat for the money...

6. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

There hasnt been any to speak of for sale all yr.
    and the instant I put new ones for sale the market
    becomes flooded w/used ones. LDS

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    jepp2, rsbhunter and Raythemanroe like this.
  7. tn6br

tn6br Silver $$ Contributor

The 45x coming out this week may have something to do with it.

Raythemanroe likes this.
  8. Ledd Slinger

Thanks for the input. I wish one of the businesses at home carried the Sightron 10-50 so I could finally mess around with one for myself. I took a quick look through one at a 1K match for a few seconds years ago but didn't get to play with it at all. Glass seemed pretty nice. I remember it seeming a little dark on 50X and the field of view wasn't very big, but it was clear. Again, it was just a quick look. Not enough to form any sort of opinion on them.

9. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

It does darken at 40+ mag. I've only used it on 50 power in one match when it was cold and clear. Could see the 6mm holes at 600. Usually running it at 25-35 power.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  10. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I have one. It is great for the money. I also have a NF I use more and a couple of Vortex GEs I like too.

The economy is strong. People may be upgrading. If you can afford a NF for 2.5x the cost, it is a better scope. Nice opportunity for new shooters.

Also, I think scopes of all brands are often sold by people wanting to change reticles.

--Jerry

11. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

I'm looking for an affordable scope for my 14 year old son to shoot .223 in mid range F Class. He just shot his first match last weekend with my Leupold LRT 4.5-14x50 and it's not enough magnification

I don't want to spend a lot if it turns out he doesn't want to make this a regular thing.

I've been seeing these 10-50 sightrons for sale as well but I've never looked through one. What do you guys think about it as an F Class scope for this young man?

12. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I hear things about weight ? F/TR Shooters have a weight limit to make.
    Having said that my friends love them. Some have changed to GE for the Power Range.

13. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

It's great that's what I use but you don't really need to run it at the full 50 power.

14. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Silver $$ Contributor

I have two 10-50x60 SIII's. I bought them for ~850 new. They seem to hang around that price when I see them in the classifieds. I have the MOA-2 reticle for hold off on long range steel. A friend just got a new golden eagle, and I think quite honestly the glass is the same. We looked both close (200y paper) and at distance. I couldnt distinguish a difference. (Both at 50 power) The golden eagle darkened some above 50 IIRC. And neither compare to the glass in the NF comps. The reason I picked up the comps was the FCR-1 crosshair is about 1/2 the thickness of the one in the MOA-2 reticle, which helps with short range paper, while still allowing me the hold off lines at long range steel.

I wouldnt sell any of them. They all have their purpose.

15. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

I have 2 that I feel are about equal to my buddy's NF. They can be had for over $700+ on the net so they do hold there value. I'm waiting for a MOA to come up at a reasonable price when I have the cash .
    Don

16. Ledd Slinger

I know that the NF Comp is nice glass, but haven't seen one pass a proper scope test by holding zero

17. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Silver $$ Contributor

I wasn't trying to start down that path. Just trying to give my optical frame of reference between the eagles and sightron. And I still have my sightrons.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  18. LarryDScott

I never did like the term, "its a good scope for the money",
    which infers if you spent more money you could buy a better scope. The Sightron brand is more scope quality than you actually pay for. If I didnt believe that I wouldnt have them
    on every rifle I own. LDS

270WinDude, holstil, PatMiles and 4 others like this.
  19. Ledd Slinger

I guess I just always get suspicious when a scope that has a normal retail price of $1,000 to $1100 is selling barely used or in new condition for under $6** to $800. Wondering if it failed testing or perhaps isn't quite as good as other SIII 10-50's optically.....

I have a fully tested Kahles K1050 rifle scope. I'd be willing to bet if I put it up for sale, most folks would grab it for a price very close to retail knowing that they are ALL flawless performers when it comes to mechanical reliability and optical performance. So I am just wondering why the 10-50 SIII sells for so much cheaper than retail second hand if they are as good as everyone claims? Perhaps the used market price was upset by a handful of people that needed to move them quickly for financial reasons? Dont' know... Could be that "John Doe" is not as impressed as the next guy. Dont' know that yet either. I suppose I'd just have to get my hands on one for myself to see.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  20. LarryDScott

The main problem w/the sales market new or used, is no one
    wants to pay for anything. If they cant steal it, its a no sale.
    I have sold a lot of 10-50s for 900.00 delivered, now I have
    some listed at $850.00 delivered and can't get any interest.
    Last fall I ran into the same issue, I blamed it on the time of the yr, and the fact that all of a sudden there was a flood of used units on the board. Now my timing is better, but here comes the tidal wave of used scopes as soon as I posted mine. Its hard to sell against a stacked deck where there are more FFL holders and their friends who buy at cost than there are retail customers. LDS

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    270WinDude and Ledd Slinger like this.