Why is AR Comp the Red Headed Step Child?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by urbanrifleman, Sep 4, 2019.

1. GSS

GSS

That would be good news for service rifle shooters that go thru 1000's of rounds a year in practice and matches if they can load their 600 yard 80 - 82 gr projectiles ammo progressively like most of us do for our 200 and 300 yard loads.

As opposed to trickling charges for the 600 yard loads like some do.

2. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

I'm going to test a bunch of stuff.

There was zero copper in my barrel after 80 rounds.

3. GSS

GSS

I am seeing little to zero copper fouling as well in 20" 223 service rifle barrels.
    I just give a fairly Quick Butches Bore shine with bronze brush and patches every 250 - 300 rounds and then every 600 I go more thorough following up the Isso Paste similar to explained on Frank and Theresa's Comapss Lake website at https://www.compasslake.com/index.p...ducts_id=370&zenid=aasehugcs44ubgjmgnck59qrc0

I truly get the feeling AR Comp burns cooler and preserves barrel live wit hthe loads I am using in 20" service rifles. 23.0 grains +/- behind 62's, 68's 73's 75 VLD's and HPBT's and 80,5 and 82 grain 600 yard loads.

If I am correct about it actually burning cooler that may also be the reason for little to no copper fouling.

Dunno if fact and not really planning on overthinking it.
    When something works I just roll with it till it don't...
    Cheers,
    George

4. urbanrifleman

Alliant has the best decoppering additive on the market. Its that black stuff on the first two patches. No carbon to speak of... no copper.

5. GSS

GSS

Very Interesting, I had never heard of that.
    I have a buddy / long time service rifle shooter that won't use RL15 cuz he says it's too dirty.
    Referring to how black the patches are when cleaning thinking it was excessive powder fouling.

Before switching to AR Comp I probably burned Twenty 5lb jugs of RL15.
    I loved the way it metered and shot so I never concerned myself with the black patches and just cleaned on a regular routine.

Paul / Alliant,
    If ok, Can you confirm if the black on the 1st few patches from RL15 and / or AR Comp is truly an additive to reduce copper and / or powder fouling or not?

George

Dgd6mm and Mark W like this.
  6. urbanrifleman

David Tubb sells Tubb Dust. You add it to the powder. Turns the patches black but no copper. Alliants works even better.

7. johara1

johara1

You want to see black patches, try Varget like being a kid again only you don't have to take out the ashes. Best I found with the 77 gr. SMK was 8208 XBR, it meters in a .1 and is clean....... and it shoots very small ....... jim

gunsandgunsmithing and SPJ like this.
  8. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

LT 32 seems to be ''black'' compared to H4895, I always wondered why and still do.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Jim
    What other powder do you prefer in your straight six Br other than Varget

10. urbanrifleman

I used to shoot Varget for years in highpower. Very, very ashy. All over the brass too. AR Comp is not like that. It is not ash and the brass is shiny after firing.

11. urbanrifleman

H4895 is made in Australia and those powders are all greenish. Lt32 is made by General Dynamics in Canada.

I always wondered why those Aus powders were greenish myself.

Link likes this.
  12. johara1

johara1

jim, I like the improved, it can keep up to the conditions better. RL-15, h4895 and 8208, and if none of those work go for Varget... but it is dirty but it works.... jim

SPJ likes this.
  13. johara1

johara1

BTW. I was shooting a Lederer with Barts 105 Guingur and 31.5 of H4895 @ 2998 from a 28" barrel and it repeated 6 times in a .1 ES was low single digits really hard to move away from this set up.... jim

14. urbanrifleman

Fire forming 6br to 6bra with 80 Bergers jumping 20 in my 7.5 twist Brux. 31, 31.5, 32, 32.5, repeated twice top and bottom. 32.5 would require a thick cup primer I am retesting switching from 205m to cci450. 32 was 3200 fps. No signs of pressure but I had a 205m pierce. This bolt is not bushed at the firing pin. Best use the thicker primer for hot loads.

Spreads were single digits at 32. 20190913_104233.jpg

15. urbanrifleman

Latest tests this weekend were again very impressive. I don't see a pressure spike at all, velocities are very good, spreads are super low, it burns super clean, no copper fouling, and three days of shooting showed temperature stability that I have never seen. The nodes stay put, which is what I was looking for...

I bought an 8 pounder of AR Comp and I decided that is all I'm going to shoot in my new Brux. I figure it probably shoots better than me and I want to see how it fouls the barrel over time.

Heavies next.

fultonbig9, murray brook and Mark W like this.
  16. Larryh128

Larryh128

AR Comp is my go to powder for 6.5 Grendel and 308. Good stuff.

17. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

@urbanrifleman Do you think Ar Comp would be good in the 7mm/08.. Has anyone tried it. TKS

18. urbanrifleman

It appears to be almost identical in burn rate to H4895. So, I would think yes.

murray brook likes this.
  19. urbanrifleman

My friend Robert told me not to post anymore about this powder...

rebel and Rodney like this.
  20. Rodney

Rodney Silver $$ Contributor

I second that. Don’t want this to become the next H4350 and become unobtanium.